Freezing Figs

When I was growing up, I spent a lot of time over at Grandma's house which was across the road and up a long lane. In August, you could find me up the fig tree munching on some of the best brown figs I have ever tasted. I would eat and eat until my belly was full. I still love figs.

I got a call from my sister-in-law and she said her figs were ripe and needed picking. She has a huge fig tree. I jumped on that offer and gathered enough to eat and also to freeze. She told me they freeze well. She said to let them thaw just a little and they were very good.

After sharing with our neighbor, who said she had never eaten figs, I saved a few to munch on and prepared the rest for freezing. My husband doesn't like figs, which is fine with me.

I did not wash the figs. I put most of them in snack zip bags and spread the bags out on a baking sheet for freezing. After frozen, I put the bags of figs into a large freezer bag and placed it back into the freezer. The figs in the snack bags did not stick together.

Not knowing whether they would stick together or not, I spread some out loose on a baking pan and also put it in the freezer. After frozen, I put them in a quart freezer bag.

I took some out today and let them sit for about 30 minutes. They were beginning to get a little soft and were still icy. Freezing them did not change the taste. I'm really going to enjoy these figs. They won't last long.

Those are beautiful figs. I don't care for raw figs. They're too rich for me. But I'm thinking, by you successfully freezing them, you can do whatever you want when you want.

I wonder if you could make fig butter. I've never heard of it, but I bet you could. I'm thinking of a layer cake with the layers split and fig butter spread inside the layers.

You and your pretty figs. Now you've gone and made me hungry, LG.

Anybody have a recipe for making fig butter?

Okay Doug - here is one recipe for fig butter.
https://oursimp  g-butter-recipe/
I have been eating and freezing figs (same way as LG) for many years but never thought of fig butter and now I have it. Maybe others will try it.

Thanks LG for clear instructions as now I do not have to "make" a freezing recipe for my daughter.

The faster they freeze the better. Best if drop figs on dry ice in bottom of ice chest. In about and hour turned into fig rocks. Then fill bags within check were no oxygen and all carbon dioxide. Seal bags while still in ice chest then transfer to regular freezer. This prevents freezer burn and substantially lengthens life in freezer. With dry ice use tongs or well insulated gloves.

Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesAugust 9, 2017
🌻
📓
😎
🐛