Freezing Mayonnaise

This guide is about freezing mayonnaise. Some foods change consistency after being frozen.

I bought a gallon of Hellman's mayonnaise and it got pushed to the back of the fridge and froze! Does anyone know what I can do to fix the separation? I put it in a blender but it didn't work. I paid a fortune for this gallon of unused mayo.

Marisa from Cumberland, MD

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I don't think you can freeze mayo, accidentally or on purpose. I would get ahold of Hellmanns and ask.

By Estella (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My favorite use of mayonnaise is to put about a teaspoon on each pork chop or chicken piece, rub it on and then dip in breadcrumbs. Bake or cook on the George Forman grill, the mayo keeps it from drying out.

Also, I make salad dressing using Mayo, vinegar and sugar. About 1/4 cup vinegar, little more than 1/4 cup sugar, mix that then add about a cup of mayo. Shake it all together. Great salad dressing, coleslaw dressing too (can be thinned with milk.)

Your mayo would work with either recipe, just stir it together, a little bit of separation or lump won't hurt it at all.

You can email Hellmanns and tell them your problem and they will try to help you.

Since it is only separated and not frozen, try using it up in salads and things where the separation won't show. It can't hurt you!