Fresh Pineapple Upside Down Cake

contest winner icon
It's pineapple season! My mother bought me several pineapples at only a dollar each and I didn't know what to do with it all so I decided to throw them into this cake. I've always used canned pineapples for my upside down cakes but this version with freshly cut ones tasted amazing and is so very easy to make. Try it with canned or fresh, you'll love it either way!

Top:

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 a fresh (cleaned) pineapple or 1 can pineapple slices
  • maraschino cherries for centers of pineapples, optional

Cake:

• 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
    • If you don't want to make this cake from scratch, a box of yellow cake, mixed to directions, will do fine!

Directions:

Put butter and brown sugar in a frying pan and melt until it boils or bubbles. I use a cast iron pan because it's heavy and cooks every evenly. I just move it from stove top straight to the oven.

Place pineapples in butter and sugar mixture. If you're using cherries, pop them in too. Put some smaller pieces of pineapple lined up the sides of the frying pan (standing up on edge). If you're not using a pan that can go into the oven, pour all this into a cake pan and arrange your pineapple accordingly.

Prepare the cake mix batter by combining the ingredients and beating for one minute. Pour batter over pineapples and bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes. Test center with toothpick.

When cake is done, loosen edges with a butter knife. Remove from heat and allow to rest five minutes, then turn it upside down on a serving dish.

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cakes FruitJune 12, 2012
🌻
🎂
📓