Painting Furniture

Category Refinishing
You can save money by painting furniture that has become a bit damaged or outdated. This is a guide about furniture painting tips.

If you are like me and tend to tire of your possessions easily, it pays to go to thrift shops and garage sales for shopping. I pay $5 for a beat up old coffee table or chair, sand it down and paint it. After I'm done with it in a few years or so, it still looks like new, I place it in my own garage sale for $15. I have never lost money on this technique, usually I make about two to three times the money. I get to change my decor often without spending much money. It is so much fun to make something look so different!

By Susan from Elkhart, IN

My 44 year old rock maple kitchen set is going to look brand new, "I hope." I am in the midst of doing over my entire kitchen. I was giving a lot of thought to buying a new kitchen set. When I saw what there was out there, I changed my mind. My set is in perfect condition. I just want a new look.

I have a large rectangular table with 2 more leaves to go into it if I choose and 6 chairs. I decided to keep the maple top and the maple seats on the chairs and paint the legs and backs of the chairs a white satin finish. I also painted some accessory pieces in my kitchen to match.

I used Rustoleum spray paint in white satin, on the legs of the table and chairs, as well as on the backs of the chairs and spindles. I also painted the legs of a stool, and the legs and back of a bench with a maple seat. Finally I sprayed a black wrought iron table that I use for holding cookbooks, the same white.

1. I took all the small pieces like the chairs, stool, and small table outdoors to paint.
  2. Ad

3. Indoors, I put down plastic and painted the legs of the table, after turning it upside down. I did the bench seat inside too.
  4. So far my kitchen has begun it's change. And I like it! Now onto painting the ceiling, walls, and woodwork. Yeah!

Painting smaller pieces of furniture is a wonderful way to utilize left-over paint. Not only that, but paint actually protects the wood. As an added touch, I once used some dainty floral decal transfers on the slats of backing on some wooden chairs. That extra touch made a huge difference.

By Arthur

I have a wooden dining room set with 4 chairs and cupboards but they look very worn out and old fashioned. I was thinking about repainting them but can't decide what color to choose. Can you help me out?

By Angela

Answers

You can paint it with a brownish-red paint or a color that is a little bit dark and then try to put a varnish on it so the color would really stand out or shines. If you really want your wooden dining room to look good and new, you better choose a new table-cloth, new things to put in it and just make sure that the cloth that you will use suits to the color of the chairs. One suggestion, remove the candles, it would make your dining table look really old-fashioned, why not a pot of pleasant, small, fragrant plant or a flower. That's the good thing!

Good luck! I hope my answer helped you!

I would suggest that you paint all pieces of furniture an off-white color for the base color. The rim of the table and all of the chairs should be in a blue (except for the chair seats themselves). Stenciling would look lovely on all of it. Good luck and have fun.

With the couch nearby, you could use a soft blue or green from the couch fabric. Either would look beautiful!

I am interested in painting wooden furniture to reuse in a new home. I have a table with chairs and hutch, end tables and a coffee table that I want to give a new look to. Also, since the dining and living room connect, should I paint all wooden pieces to match? I am very new at painting to re-use!

janiebug from IN

Answers

You want to paint furniture a COLOR? Why not stain it? Wood is so beautiful!

If the furniture has a shiny coat, it will need a good sanding. After you sand you will have to prime the furniture first. It may look blotchy after you prime but this is normal, it is just to cover the wood so the paint will have good adhesion. Then paint with the color of your choice. When you go and buy the paint let them know what you will be using it for and they will suggest the right paint for the job.

I agree with both. You can paint everything one color and it no longer matters if they match. I have done this with white and it really brings a bright and light color to the room. Stains have also come a long way, and you can get cool colors, so take some time and go see your paint expert. Even if you don't buy the paint there, they can be of invaluable service.

I'm with Glen'sMom- wood tones are ALWAYS in style- your shapes/styles can be mismatched, but think about doing all of them in the same tone, with a stain- wood is a "natural" classic, and will never go out of style! Surprisingly, most woods will take stain in the same family of color, even if it's a different tint- and will look fantastic together, as a group.

If you have furniture that you don't like for some reason. Even its shape or style, paint will give it an entirely new look. I suggest black, but would consider charcoal. My tastes tend toward contemporary. If you are "into" country style, use white. Good luck

I've had great success with an inexpensive product called liquid sandpaper. This is applied to the furniture right before you paint your first coat. It leaves the surface dull and tacky and helps the paint adhere. We salvaged an old, unattractive bedroom suite this way. It was blonde wood, very 60s, very dated. The right paint color made it look fantastic and contemporary. I also pray painted the metal handles and saved a lot of money. We purchased it from a private party for $85 for the whole set. It also came with an almost new (guest room use) box spring and mattress. It has served us well for years. Good luck!

I had an old dresser given to me that was still solid but looked very used! I just sanded it a little to rough it up a bit. Then use regular white enamel paint from Walmart to paint it. Spray painted the handles with gold paint.
Then I put rub-on decals on it. Turned out really nice. I did this 10 years ago and I'm still using it in my bedroom.
I am very happy with the finished dresser. The enamel paint also makes it easy to wash if needed.

I have a shelf/coat hanger made out of unfinished pine. I would like to paint it distressed black. Does anyone have a good, easy way of doing this?

Jesse from Monroe, WA

Answers

Do you want some of the grain of the wood to show? If so, thin your paint with water (about 1/2 paint, 1/2 water and apply. You can distress the wood by hitting it with sharp objects ie, hammer, pick, chains. Etc. If you do not wish to have the grain show, then I think you would just paint it after distressing it. If you thin your paint and your wood is very yellow underneath, it might end up looking green, so I would try it on the back somewhere first.

Paint it black and then sand it with sand paper. Or if you would like another color to show through, paint the undercoat one color and then black, then sand, it will bring out the undercoat.

I would prime first and, yes, if you want the grain to show sand it a little first.

I need to repaint a baby bed. What kind of paint is safe? I have started using an enamel based paint. Is this OK? It has a flat feeling to it. Could I use a gloss over it? Ideas anyone?

IMAQT1962 from IL

Answers

First make sure the paint is lead free. The paints I have used all stated that they were safe for infants and toddlers. I would reccomend reading the label, if in doubt ask someone where the paint was purchased. Take Care ! JAN

i would check with say sherwin willams cause this paint will go in the babys mouth better safe than sorry

I believe the best paint is Milk Paint you can find it on the internet if you google "Milk Paint" and also non toxic paint you will find links . Try this link
http://www.eart  oxic_paints.htm.
Gina

I'm trying to paint a piece of furniture black with a dull finish, but it has a shine. How do I dull it?

By Michelle

How do I paint old furniture?

By cczzy from New York City

Answers

It's pretty easy. Lightly sand the whole piece. Don't worry about sanding every inch, but sand as much as you can. Then wipe or dry brush all the sanding dust off. Then paint on a coat of primer, something like Kilz. Then put on two coats of paint and you are done. I'd recommend using acrylic/latex paint. You can paint it solid or with a design or any decoration you want. You can put a clear coat finish on it, but you don't have to. You can also find books at the library or websites about how to paint furniture too. Have fun!

if it's a good piece of furniture I'd recommend a liquid stripper first and a light sanding as well as a primer. If the piece is worth redoing it's worth doing right. That insures no peeling of the new paint and no paint filled corners etc which happens when you can't get all the old paint off. This only take an extra couple of hours and is well worth the professional look you get.

I have just painted my daughter's room to match a comforter set we bought. The top half is white, the bottom is chocolate brown, and a dark pink stripe goes around the middle. I repainted an old bedroom set tan (it was originally off white/yellow?). I'm afraid that now the finish may be too light. Should I try using the brown wall paint and a decorating finish on the furniture or leave it alone?

Melissa

Answers

Could you highlight the bedroom set with chocolate and pink? Like chocolate drawer fronts with pink knobs. Or maybe decorate it with some kind of stencil? I don't think you should paint it brown like the walls because it will disappear into them.

Hi, try painting a large piece of wood the tan color and then sponge paint the darker color over it,do it a couple of different ways to see if you like it and then paint your furniture .If you didn't like it you haven't ruined your furniture.

My new custom made bed (pine) was treated with linseed oil. I was assured it's non-toxic. Well, it has been 2 weeks, and the bed still emits an odor. It gives me a sore throat and cough. What can be done? Can I paint it over with a latex paint? I am allergic to all household chemicals, so the paint should contain no VOCs.
Any other way to fix this predicament?
I'd appreciate advice. Thank you!

By Irena from Portland, OR