Painting Furniture a New Color

I am interested in painting wooden furniture to reuse in a new home. I have a table with chairs and hutch, end tables and a coffee table that I want to give a new look to. Also, since the dining and living room connect, should I paint all wooden pieces to match? I am very new at painting to re-use!

janiebug from IN

You want to paint furniture a COLOR? Why not stain it? Wood is so beautiful!

If the furniture has a shiny coat, it will need a good sanding. After you sand you will have to prime the furniture first. It may look blotchy after you prime but this is normal, it is just to cover the wood so the paint will have good adhesion. Then paint with the color of your choice. When you go and buy the paint let them know what you will be using it for and they will suggest the right paint for the job.

I agree with both. You can paint everything one color and it no longer matters if they match. I have done this with white and it really brings a bright and light color to the room. Stains have also come a long way, and you can get cool colors, so take some time and go see your paint expert. Even if you don't buy the paint there, they can be of invaluable service.

I'm with Glen'sMom- wood tones are ALWAYS in style- your shapes/styles can be mismatched, but think about doing all of them in the same tone, with a stain- wood is a "natural" classic, and will never go out of style! Surprisingly, most woods will take stain in the same family of color, even if it's a different tint- and will look fantastic together, as a group.

If you have furniture that you don't like for some reason. Even its shape or style, paint will give it an entirely new look. I suggest black, but would consider charcoal. My tastes tend toward contemporary. If you are "into" country style, use white. Good luck

I've had great success with an inexpensive product called liquid sandpaper. This is applied to the furniture right before you paint your first coat. It leaves the surface dull and tacky and helps the paint adhere. We salvaged an old, unattractive bedroom suite this way. It was blonde wood, very 60s, very dated. The right paint color made it look fantastic and contemporary. I also pray painted the metal handles and saved a lot of money. We purchased it from a private party for $85 for the whole set. It also came with an almost new (guest room use) box spring and mattress. It has served us well for years. Good luck!

I had an old dresser given to me that was still solid but looked very used! I just sanded it a little to rough it up a bit. Then use regular white enamel paint from Walmart to paint it. Spray painted the handles with gold paint.
Then I put rub-on decals on it. Turned out really nice. I did this 10 years ago and I'm still using it in my bedroom.
I am very happy with the finished dresser. The enamel paint also makes it easy to wash if needed.