Getting Rid Of Worms In My Freezer

I had left my apartment for a good 6 weeks for training out of state. Needless to say my electricity went out and when I returned obviously all my meat was rotten. As I tried cleaning out the freezer I noticed there were tons of little white worms! How do I go about getting rid of them?

Best Answer

These are maggots. Clean with boiling water and bleach.

Judy is correct. They are maggots. Which means they were already in the freezer or you have a bad freezer gasket (seal) You can clean to get rid of the worms, but the smell is another story. I would replace the freezer or fridge unit.

They are indeed maggots. This happened to my friend. We cleaned for hours and it was near useless. You can kill them with boiling water or freeze them to death. Use something like this, too:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=thrif06-20

You commented "needless to say". If you knew you were going to be gone that long, could you have paid your bill ahead, or put your meat in someone else's freezer and turned off the fridge? The reason I ask is if this "was not your fault" you can put in a claim for the food lost, and perhaps a new fridge.

It happened to me and even though it was a rental, I got a new fridge and a check in about 5 days for 167.00 in lost food. I hope this was the case. But yes, maggots can be killed by simply turning the freezer on again. The smell is most likely in the insulation and can't be helped.
Please see if you can do something to get your money back. PBP