Getting Rid of Fruit Flies

I am having a fruit fly infestation. I don't have fruits or veggies on the countertops. I have no clue where they came from. Can they come inside on pets or humans?

By D.C.C from Slidell, LA

Best Answer

I agree... they come in through the screens, they are awful! I got rid of mine by placing a clear bug strip on a window that gets the last light of the day. They will always head in that direction in the evening - and they find the sticky tab and stick leaving me alone. They only need about 2 or 3 days to reproduce... so taking the trash out often helps. I get them in my garage all the time and just hang a pest strip near the garage light... nabs them quickly as they are attracted to light and with no spraying pesticides. I have done this for years and I am basically gnat and fruit fly free!

Fruit flies are so small they can come in any crack, but they only do so when there's produce. Somewhere, (hidden, since you don't know where it is yet) there's a fruit or vegetable in your house.

Down behind something, under the trash bag, kids put it somewhere weird, somewhere.

They also love to reproduce in pop cans and juice boxes in your recycle bin.