AdviceDogs

Getting a Dog to Eat His Food

I have a Pit Bull that stays outside. He does not like to eat his dog food as much as my other female dog, so I mix grease that I use with his dog food so that he can eat it all. Is this OK or is it bad for him? So far he has a shinier coat and is getting more weight which is what I want, but is it healthy?

By Megan

Best Answer

The weight gain may become a problem for you (and him). While the grease is probably not bad for him, it is very high in calories. Could you try adding broth and stock to his food? You can buy it or make your own. Just be sure onions and garlic are not part of the ingredients.

No, I would not give any dog grease. I would however, and do, cook meat boiled in water; chicken or turkey without the skin/bones and cut it and add to their dry dog food or give as a final meal a few times weekly. If your dog stopped eating the dry food, then maybe it needs a change. Be a little versatile with the food chain dogs are allowed to consume. Meat is good for their skin and fur. Grease is just not healthy. You can find a lot of websites out there that endorse the healthy people foods dogs can eat and yes, onions and garlic are a definite no, no.