Getting a Parvo Shot After Having Parvo

I have a Reindeer Chihuahua. A week after we got her she came down with parvo. I could not stand by and do nothing, so I took her to the vet. He gave me 3 choices. First, leave her in their hospital for 1300.00 and she will have a 90% chance to live. Secondly, come back every day for a shot in her neck, to keep her hydrated, at a cost of 100.00 per day and give her liquids every hour for those 7 days (which meant not going to work), or lastly, put her down. We chose number 2. The dog lived and is very healthy.

Now a year and a half later the vet has sent me a letter saying its time to bring her in for another parvo shot. Is this true? By the way, the first time I was there he told me that the shot would not really help save the dog and that it was really up to her. Do I need to get her another shot? Thanks for your help.

By Robert

Best Answer

Change your Veterinarian the only correct statement is YES your Dog has to have a yearly C5 vaccination that includes Canine Parvoviris, Distemper, Kennel Cough and Heartworm Injections. Depending on the area you live anything else your vet feels is necessary. Depending on age this should have been done when you first owned the dog. I really am sorry for you. Please keep us all posted.

You're dead wrong!!!!!!!!!! Yearly vaccinations are EXTREMELY harmful!!!!!! Search Dr. Ron Schultz U of Wisconsin Vet School and get educated on vaccinations.

Titers to check after core puppy shots will give your pets more years. Only cavemen vets are vaccinating every year for $$$$$$$$$$.

Anonymous

Your vet was educated by big pharma. It's called money. The greed for money. Often times parvo is caused by the parvo shot. What he charged you was ridiculous. I am so glad your pet survived but it would have been so much better if you had a regular homeopathic vet.