Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo

6 months ago I brought home a puppy that tested positive for coccidia, ghiardia, and parvo within 2 days of having him. He died by the end of the week. My 8 year old dog never got sick and we did clean the whole house with the same product our vet uses for parvo cleanup. I am now considering getting a new pup who the breeder will keep until it has had its second parvo vaccine. Will that be enough?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

6 months is enough time for the inside. Parvo can live for a year outdoors, so be careful to avoid areas the first dog went on.

Your new puppy may be safe if it has completed the round of vaccinations, but, to be safe, i would suggest having a consultation with your vet and not just the breeder.
Here is a link to a site that has a lot of information about Parvo including info about your question (that info is close to the bottom of the site).

http://www.2ndc  e.info/parvo.htm

We just lost a puppy today. She was an Old English Bulldoggie. Last Thursday night she was happy running around Friday morning she was sick. Took her to the Vet had them put her on IV's and do what they needed to. Picked her up on Saturday, they told me I could help her through it doing the same stuff they do at home. She died bleeding and screaming in pain on Tuesday night. They knew there was no chance. But want my money. Do Not bring a New puppy home until all shots are done. Give your last shot 2 or 3 weeks before taking home. They need to build the antibody up before they can be around. If your Vet's office is really nice so will the bill be (the sky is the limit). $1500 - $3000.00 and they know before they try anything if the dog will make it. This little girl was 4 months old and had shots but not enough time lapsed from last shot and when she was exposed. This little girl was perfect then 4 days later looked like she had been starved for a month and beat up. Make's me cry just thinking about what she went through. I am a 63 year old Grandpa that who has worked in the OR for many years. I have seen a lot of deaths. This one hurts.