Gluten Free Country Style Steak
One of our favorite dishes is cubed steak and gravy served with creamed potatoes. I have to make it gluten free and came up with this method of doing so.
Note: Not all broth and bouillon cubes are gluten free. They may contain wheat. Swanson Beef and Chicken Broth and Herb Ox bouillon cubes are gluten free. I always check the label.
I use Pillsbury Best Gluten Free Flour. It cost more than regular flour so I use it sparingly and try not to waste any.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 to 1 1/2 hours
Total Time: 2-3 hours
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 pieces cubed steak
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 2 Tbsp Crisco shortening
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 can (14.5oz) Swanson beef broth
- 2 3/4 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Herb Ox beef bouillon cubes (not pictured)
- Place flour in a container and stir in some salt and pepper. Dredge steak in the flour to coat it.
- Place pieces of steak in hot grease and brown lightly on both sides.
- Remove steak from frying pan and pour off excess grease. Add 1/2 cup water to drippings in the pan and stir well. You will be adding gravy to this.
- Make the gravy. Stir corn starch into cold water. Pour beef broth into a medium pan.
- Add the corn starch and bouillon cubes. Stir constantly. Mash bouillon cubes and stir until well blended. Heat until it is steaming hot. Remove from heat.
- Add gravy to water in the frying pan and place steak in the gravy. Gravy should be soupy. Add a little water if needed.
- Cover and simmer for an hour or more. Turn steak over during cooking time to keep it from sticking. Cooking it slow and for a long period of time makes it tender.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.