Granny Square Afghans from Leftover Yarn

I enjoy making afghans for a charity group called Project Linus. They make blankets, quilts and afghans for children in hospitals, disaster situations, children who have lost parents from the war, etc. We get a lot of donated yarn at the meetings and I have now tried to use up the "scrap" balls of yarn that most people don't want to use, preferring full, new skeins. I make large granny square afghans out of the yarn and add to my squares as I get new colors from the donations. It is fun to try to coordinate the color scheme or just to add colors to get a new pattern.

Every square a picture of perfection. The blue on blue is especially nice.

Thank you. The yarn was all donated to our chapter of Project Linus. I was fortunate to have enough of the colors to create the color scheme. Working on several now and love coming up with new color patterns. So worthy when you read the thank you's from the parents of children who received these blankets.

I make 12 inch Granny Squares and use the the same color for the last round of each square. then put them together for an afghan or a Poncho.

I also once made a king size square for my daughter and she has it on the bed in her guest bedroom.

These are beautiful. Another thing you might do with leftover yarn is log cabin knitting or crochet. I've made several things, pillow covers, bath & commode covers, by log cabin knitting, but I think it could be adapted to crochet, too.