Scrap Yarn Project Ideas

Category Miscellaneous
Avid weavers, knitters and crocheters can end up with extra yarn that is just not enough for another planned project. This page contains scrap yarn projects.

I enjoy making afghans for a charity group called Project Linus. I make large granny square afghans out of the scrap yarn and add to my squares as I get new colors from the donations. It is fun to try to coordinate the color scheme or just to add colors to get a new pattern.

Granny Square Afghans from Leftover Yarn

My grandma was a big crocheter, and was always getting left with small, 1-3 inch balls of yarn she had no use for. I came up with a way to use the small balls of yarn.

I just saw an interesting tip on how to use up excess yarn by making baskets. Well, I use my excess yarn by making drinking glass sweaters.

They are excellent for sweating glasses in the summertime.

I discovered that if I use circular knitting needles to knit long winter scarves, I can use bits and pieces of yarn in all colors and textures to knit up unique scarves that when used creatively can be very beautiful.

I was lucky enough to receive 4 large trash bags full of yarn. All different colors and textures. Mostly left over scraps from previous projects. I'm looking for crochet projects to make that take very little yarn. Especially Christmas ornaments/projects.I did start to make a old fashioned Black and Brights Granny Square afghan. Making sure to only use the scraps marked acrylic so when washed a wool scrap wouldn't shrink up and ruin the throw. Open for ideas for the home, holidays, fashion, pets.Can't stand to see anything go to waste.

Haley

Answers

You are a woman after my own heart! I don't crochet but I have seen some little dish cloths that were crocheted. These would be lovely in your kitchen.
You could also crochet some Barbie doll clothes for gifts or items to sell.

You could also crochet some lap robes and dontate them to nursing homes or hospitals.

By Yolanda (Guest Post)

Try:

www.crochetpatterncentral.com

You will have lots of ideas....
Hope it helps....

By rosa (Guest Post)

You can alway crochet or knit, whatever do, make some blankets, bout 18x20 " and donate them to you local vets office or the humane society. They are always needing blankets, ect for the cages. Rose

Go to www.freepatterns.com and you will find a lot of patterns that you can copy. Also, you can go to www.hats4thehomeless.org, www.newbornsinneed.org, and www.h4ha.org (Hugs for Homeless Animals) and get a lot of ideas.

They will tell you what's needed and where to mail it to when you finish the project.

I bought a jumbo hook and using 6-10 yarns at a time, crocheted a rug. You can mix different weights too. When one color ends, just attach another color. I kept the same color family in two, in others I changed so the colors formed bands. I made lots of potholders and hot plate trivets, and some placemats too. I also have made several afaghans where the center used different colored scraps, but another color was bought and a final row was crocheted around each piece to join them together amd marry them--you'll be surprised at how many patterns you'll find when you start looking.

I also like the idea of making dishcloths.

A gift of striped or granny square potholders, a thick crocheted trivet, a crocheted dish cloth, and a kitchen towel with a crocheted border would make a great gift.

By Dee (Guest Post)

I think the same as you when it comes to my yarn stash. If the yarn is 12 inches or longer I crochet it into something and if it is less than 12 inches it goes into my "found stuffing" bag. I throw out NOTHING. I also unravel and "reclaim" yarn from damaged Afghans or apparel as per the how to instructions I found on the Internet. I recently received 7 garbage-sized bags of mixed yarn from personal stashes of known friends and family. But a friend purchased 1 bag for me at a yard sale. I call yarn from an owner unknown to me "Orphan Yarn" and I wash it before I use it per the how to reclaim instructions. I do this because I am unsure of how it was stored, (I have a dust mite allergy) how old it is and also to make sure it is in good condition.

I then attempt to match it up by weight and texture. Now what to do with it.

Check the charity websites - they have free patterns for chemo hats, children's hats, scarf's and mittens, baby clothes, afghans, lapgans, walker caddy's for seniors, the less fortunate can use it all. There are usually gently used to new clothing collection agencies, for the homeless and needy in every city.

Also I have been advised, animals are color blind and have more need for comfort than a color coordinated cage pad. My vets office and local animal shelters are probably overstocked by now with "Chi-Baba's" I have made from faded, but oh so soft, reclaimed yarn. You can create your own pattern or find them on the Internet.

Blend your colors, make it up, hand it out. It may not fill your pockets but it will fill your heart.

By Dona Rick (Guest Post)

Dee, I would like to know more about the chemo hats and lapghans for the patients. please email me for the info. PLEASE d l rick @ bellsouth . net I was wanting to do something like that for the St Jude children or something like that and don't know how to contact such organizations. Thanks so much.

By (Guest Post)

Headbands, you can also crochet pieces of scraps over soup cans, they make nice pencil holders. Make a scarf from scraps in a striped pattern, plastic bag holders for the kitchen. I've seen one from the Crochet dude site and also I think the Bernat site, free patterns there. Well, that's a few.

Crochet pretty motifs for practice with your scraps to use in other patterns as well. This will give you an idea of your skills in that particular pattern. Crochet small toys like the amigurami, food toys etc. The possibilities are just endless.

for very small scraps that are about 4" long, I use them as stitch markers in a project when I don't have a stitch marker or safety pin. I get a crochet hook use it as a latch rug hook and use it the same way as if you were going to make a latch rug. Just make sure you use a contrasting color so you can see it.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

I decided to make a prayer shawl that used some of the Lion Brand yarn stash I have accumulated while making various other prayer shawls. As you can see from the stash photo, my palate leans toward the earthy colors.

Various colors of yarn.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Crafts MiscellaneousOctober 31, 2012
😎
📓
🐛
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Scrap-Yarn-Project-Ideas-1.html