Grasshoppers of Biblical Proportions

I have 7 acres, and raise goats, chickens, ducks, geese, quail, and one donkey. I have about 30 head of goats right now. There are thousands and thousand and thousands of grasshoppers this year. We had them last year, but not this many. I am sure these will lay eggs and there will be millions next year. I have contacted my Ag dept. They suggested Tempo. But I have critters that eat here. I can't use poisons. I am in northeast Texas.

When you walk hundreds and hundreds are leaping everywhere. I heard about NOLO bait, but I can't get my feed store to order it. It is a bit expensive. I tired to treat my place, but it is like a drop in a five gallon bucket. It does me no good to treat my 7 acres when the 3000 or so acres around me are not being treated. They just move on back in the next day after treatment. All the brown spots are grasshoppers.

By Jan

Get some chickens, ducks or geese. They love to eat grasshoppers.

Perhaps you are right when you say "Biblical proportions". Have you read the book of Revelations? Or, perhaps the book of Amos?

You mentioned you raised chickens, ducks, geese etc. Are they able to feed on the grasshoppers? That would be a start.

We had an infestation of grasshoppers this year, and using several different methods we had it somewhat under control. I wrote a post with all the methods we used:

www.thecelticfarm.com/.../