Growing Gladiolus

Do you have to dig out gladiola bulbs after blooming and keep inside til next spring? Or can you leave them in the ground all year?

By Joe Burto

I live in Northern Virginia and my gladioli have multiplied each year. I do not dig them up but leave them where they are. They keep coming back and multiply.

If you get deep frost you need to dig up your glads. If you leave them in the ground where there is deep frost they will turn to mush! If you are in a mild climate you can get away with leaving them in the grounds It is still a good idea to separate the bulb-lets from the mother bulbs now and then. jjs w Palm Beach, FL

I live in Ohio, Zone 5 and I dig mine up and keep them in a plastic shoe box that I got at the $1 store and I keep them in the basement. Every once in awhile I will take the lid off and let them air out.