Growing Wandering Jew (Tradescantia)

Category House Plants
Wandering Jew is typically grown as a houseplant, outside of the tropics, that can spend time outdoors in warm weather. They are easy to care for and can be grown from cuttings. This is a page about growing wandering Jew (tradescantia).

You don't have to have a green thumb to grow Wandering Jew. I purchased this plant from Walmart in April. I have thinned it several times. I made a hanging basket and gave it to a friend, added a few sprigs around my Lantana plant and also pitched it over the deck railing behind a bush just to get rid of it. That little bit took root and it is spreading.

I'll have to say, I got my money's worth when I purchased this plant. It is an annual but can be wintered inside.

How do I care for a Wandering Jew plant?

By jon rippkej from Minneapolis

Answers

Wandering Jews love sun. It needs to go in a south window in the winter. In the summer, it can go outside facing west, so it gets half day sun. It doesn't need to stay soaking wet, but does like to be moist (not allowed to dry out).

Good luck, they are beautiful plants.

If your plant is in a pot, soak it in a bucket of lukewarm water twice a month. If it is planted outside, water when ground is dry. You should use a liquid fertilizer as directed (on the package) on indoor plants about once a month. Here is a picture of one of mine ,planted in a strawberry pot. It was started from three 4-5 inch cuttings taken from a cousin's hanging plant in AR. They need trimming to keep them full also. Good Luck. GG Vi

Never let your dog/cat anywhere near it, ask your veterinarian.

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsOctober 15, 2018
🎃
🌻
🎂