Growing Zinnias

Botanical Name:

Zinnia

Life Cycle:

annual

Planting Time:

spring

Height:

6" to 4'

Exposure:

full sun

Soil:

average to rich, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

n/a

Bloom Time:

early summer to early fall

Flower:

variety of bright colors including yellow, orange, fuchsia, red, white and pink

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

seeds

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, cut flowers, mass plantings, containers, and fillers

Growing Hints:

Sow seeds directly outdoors where you want them to grow as soon as soil has warmed up, or start seeds indoors 6 weeks before your last frost date. If starting indoors, sow seeds into individual peat pots (3" pots for tall varieties) to reduce root disturbance during transplanting. Transplant seedlings outdoors when temperatures stay above 50º F in 4 to 12 inch intervals depending on variety. Taller varieties may need to be staked.

Interesting Facts:

Now one of the most popular bedding plants, zinnias were originally grown as wildflowers native to the southwest United States, Mexico and Central America. They also attract butterflies.

4 More Solutions

Few annuals look as cheerful and appealing in the garden as Zinnias' daisy-like flowers, that may be single, semi-double, or double (the largest are nearly 6 inches across) and come in nearly every shade of the rainbow, but blue.

Zinnia Flowers

Every spring I sow tall zinnia seed directly in the ground. Can I do the same thing with Profusion zinnia seeds or do I need to start them inside first and then transplant when I have a good sized plant? So far I have been buying new Profusion zinnias each year and this year, I would like to save the seeds and try planting them instead of purchasing every year.

Thank you for your response.

Answers

These are easy to grow. You can sow directly in the ground or start indoors if you want earlier blooms. www.gardenia.net/.../zinnia-profusion-series

These look so amazing with their pops of color and pretty lines! I miss having them....When I did, I have always had the best luck starting them right in the ground vs starting inside. When I did the inside to outside....I must not have hardened them enough or the right way or something, because many failed...

The Farmers Almanac has an interesting blurb on sowing them:

www.almanac.com/.../zinnias

Saving the seeds was easy and was my favorite thing to do at the end of the season:

homeguides.sfgate.com/saved-zinnia-seeds-look-like-93126...

Newer articles say keep in the fridge....but I always kept them in jars in the basement (which is cold). Something about the fridge had an ick factor to me....not sure why. Be sure to label your bottles to make planting season less confusing...unless of course you love the surprise of what will bloom!! That has its merits!!

Happy sowing!

Answer this Question

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

This is warm sunny afternoon out walking with my grandkids. I pack a camera always. This was the first year to plant zinnias, and I never knew the attraction they were to a butterfly.

Butterflies_and_Zinnias

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

Butterfly and Zinnia photo

Butterfly and Zinnia

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening AnnualsJanuary 22, 2013
🌻
🐰
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Zinnias.html