Grown Up Dog Peeing In the House

My 3 year old, housetrained male dog finds it necessary to cock his leg and pee on everything. I will let him out, and he'll stay outside for hours. Then as soon as he walks in the house he looks for a place to pee. It is driving me crazy.

I have tried repellents, watching him like a hawk, keeping him on a leash in the house, almost everything conceivable to keep him from doing this. He won't stop. What can I do? He is neutered and has been for a couple years.

Thanks.
Raea from Concord, NC

Answers:

Grown Up Dog Peeing In the House

We have a large adult male dog that does the same thing. I've been told that he is just instinctively marking his territory and will probably always do so. We had to make him basically an outside dog. When he comes in to visit or when the weather dictates, he likes to get under the dining table in our family room and sleep.

Going with this natural behavior, we put a leash on him and tie the other end to the table leg. When he is ready to go back outside he lets us know by barking. This way he gets to be social and yet does not have the run of the house. We have not had any "marking" incidents since we started doing this. (04/06/2006)

By Bunnieknit

Grown Up Dog Peeing In the House

Have you tried making him diapers? My old dog (18) is blind so doesn't know how to tell us any longer he wants out. I make a diaper case that ties around his chest at one end and has a hole for the tail and ties at the other end. I put a tiny baby diaper on the inside and it catches everything that I otherwise miss.
Good luck.

Ceil (04/06/2006)

By CEIL

Grown Up Dog Peeing In the House

If this is not normal behaviour for your dog, you may consider taking your dog to the vet. Your dog could have a bladder infection. (03/28/2008)

By Leigh