Read More Comments
Homemade Beef Gravy Mix
- 1 1/3 cups instant nonfat milk powder
- 3/4 cup instant flour
- 3 Tbsp. instant beef bouillon granules
- 1/8 tsp. ground thyme
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. ground sage
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tsp. brown sauce for gravy
Combine milk powder, instant flour, bouillon granules, thyme, onion powder and sage. Stir with a wire whisk to blend. Cut in butter or margarine until evenly distributed. Drizzle brown sauce for gravy over mixture. Stir with wire whisk until blended. Spoon into a 3-cup container with a tight-fitting lid. Label with date and contents; store in the refrigerator. Use with 4-6 weeks. Makes about 2 2/3 cups.
Beef Gravy with Homemade Beef Gravy Mix
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup beef gravy mix
Pour water into a small saucepan. Use a whisk to stir beef gravy mix into water. Stir constantly over medium heat until gravy is smooth and slightly thickened. This will take about 2-3 minutes. Makes about 1 cup.
By christi from Paducah, KY
This is easy, quick, and delicious. I usually add a can of cream of mushroom soup to the ground beef before adding in the flour/cream mixture. I don't add extra salt. If desired, add more beef flavor with a tablespoon of beef bouillon powder.
- 2 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 (1 oz.) pkg. dry onion soup mix
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (10 oz.) cans sliced mushrooms, well drained (hand squeeze out any excess moisture)
- 5 cups half-and-half cream or milk, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (more to use at the table)
- 1 (375 g) package medium dry egg noodles, cooked
In a large skillet or medium pot cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned; drain fat. Add in garlic, chili flakes, dry onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce and mushrooms; cook stirring for 3 minutes. Pour 4 cups half-and-half or milk into the pan and stir, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 4 to 5 minutes.
In a bowl, whisk the flour with remaining 1 cup of cream until smooth; slowly add to the beef mixture stirring with a spoon. Simmer, stirring with a wooden spoon for about 3 to 4 minutes until thickened. Mix in about 1/3 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Season with black pepper
Divide the cooked noodles onto plates. Spoon the hamburger gravy over noodles, then sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese. Makes 4-6 servings.
By Connie from Cotter, AR