Healthy Additions to Your Pet's Food

Category Food
There are ways to add extra nutrition to your pet's food. This page is about healthy additions to your pet's food.
.

I have 2 nice, healthy, middle-aged best friends who usually are fed dry dog food, with a little something extra. Whenever I cook, I save bones from meat, extra broth, etc. and simmer it on the stove for a nice flavorful broth to pour over the dogs' dry dog food.

Sometimes, I make stock for use in our own foods then boil the bones yet again to get more flavor out for the dogs. I strain it, so no little bones get into their dishes. If you refrigerate the bones between uses, you can sometimes get even a third-time broth out of them.

Another thing they love over their food is water you've cooked pasta in. I try not to feed them fatty and oily things, only the good juices from cooking. This saves spending money on canned dog food (except for a treat, LOL) because it makes dry dog food a little extra special. Also I don't buy the most expensive brands, because I feel like I'm giving them good nourishment with the broths.

By Jayne

Save that juice from canned meats (such as tuna) and pour it over your pet's dry food, they will love you forever. I save it in the refrigerator and only add a tablespoon at a time. Once in a great while, I "accidentally" drop some of the meat in the juice. Yes, I have happy pets. If you have a picky pet, this will encourage them to eat.

Also if you have a little bit of vegetables, rice, or meat left, run it through a blender or mince it. Simmer it in a small amount of water for a couple of minutes and pour a tablespoon of this over their dry food.

In the summer, freeze this combination in ice cube trays for a cold treat. Make sure to run them under water before giving it to them so it doesn't stick to their tongue.

I keep a ice cube tray in the freezer and drop scrapings of meat and such into the cubes. Then when it gets almost full, I fill with broth, water, or left over soup for that special treat also.

By Ann Winberg from Loup City, NE

When feeding your dog and you want to add supplements as suggested by one other participant, be certain to not only include beef, chicken and veggies. Also include chicken or beef livers, they have the most nutrients! Yougurt with probiotics is also essential for the digestive system. Cottage cheese is a great dairy source for bone development. Omega 3 fish oil capsule one a day for coat and circulatory system. Keeping our pets healthy is great for them and for keeping them with us as long as possible.

Source: www.SheltieForums.com

By Elaine from Landaff, NH

Pet food is always an important issue with pet owners. This economy is making it hard to afford the best foods. Be sure the supplement your dog's diet with real chicken and real beef. This is because the cheaper foods do not have much meat in them.

If your pet eats dry food, you should consider soaking it in equal amounts of water to soften the kibble.

I have two tiny dogs that were not eating well, so I cooked up pumpkin, sweet potato, and white potato. Once cooked I mashed it and added 1/2 of a boiled skinless chicken breast which I had chopped very finely.

I stirred t all together.

Pets FoodMarch 21, 2013
🐛
😷
📓
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Healthy-Additions-to-Your-Pets-Food.html