Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

How get I get free help with home repairs? My husband died 17 years ago and I raised 4 children on my own. I work, but live pay check to pay check. It is hard get money for repairs.

By Mary A from Reading, PA

There are a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck and a lot who wish they had a paycheck so it is easy to understand your situation.

It appears that you live in sizable city so you may be able to get help with minor repairs but it is difficult to "free" help with major repairs.

You should contact all of your local family service sites (Salvation Army, Builders Associations, local church, etc) to see if they can direct you to someone who works in this area. Sometimes different organizations offer some repair help to low income families.

Research will take time and patience but you may be able to find someone that will do some work at a discount - if not for free.

You might try doing a favor for a favor. If you crochet or knit, sew clothes, you might barter your handiwork for someone else's that you are in need of having repairs to your home made without a lot of cost.