Home Repair for Low Income Families

I'm looking for help for my parents. My grandmother passed away in 1998 leaving my mother to take care of her handicapped daughter (my mother's sister). My parents got her an apartment which was damaged in the 2006 tornado in Caruthersville. She had to move because it wasn't safe to live there anymore. My parents moved her in with them.

In 2013 my father had a massive stroke that left him unable to move his right side. My parents also had to take in my nephew and niece because the state took them from their mother. My parents' house is in need of repairs and a handicapped accessible room for my aunt. I really need to know what to do.

By Mel

We really do not know where you (or your parents) live but the answers will almost always be the same. Try calling 211 on your phone as there are a lot of "services" listed that may be able to help you find help. There is also information over the Internet if you Google 211.

Many community service organizations - Salvation Army for one - may be able to help you find someone to talk to. Your local church may also provide helpful information.

It appears there may be an "overload" of people living under one roof and this may become an even bigger problem in the future. How many of these people are receiving government assistance? How many are able to work and provide for their own care?

Lots of questions will be asked before any kind of financial assistance will be provided.