Homemade Hummingbird Food

1
Share
Pin
3
Save
Follow
Print

Making your own hummingbird food is easy and much cheaper than buying the concentrate. Plus you can make it without the red dye, as it is generally unnecessary for attracting hummingbirds to your feeder.

1. Combine sugar and water in a sauce pan.
  2. Bring to a boil. This will help kill any bacteria or mold. Then remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
  3. Fill your feeder with hummingbird food and store the leftover food in the refrigerator. Note: I recommend labeling your storage container to avoid confusion as to what it is. My son poured a huge glass of it, thinking it was cold water. :)
  4. Hang up the feeder and enjoy your tiny feathered friends!

I didn't realize making hummingbird food was so simple. Thank you. I will make some and place it near the Lobelia Cardinalis I have growing to attract hummingbirds. When the Lobelia blooms, I should get some good pictures for ThriftyFun with this double whammy!

The red dye in the premade nectar and and food coloring can be deadly to the hummingbirds. Homemade is best.

I put my 4 cup pyrex full of water in my microwave for 3 minutes on high. When done, I add 1 cup of sugar and stir till sugar is dissolved. When cooled, I fill my cleaned feeders and store leftovers in a marked bottle in the fridge. No need to use the stove or dirty a pan. I have NEVER bought pre-made nectar for my hummers, as it's too easy to make my own.....and cheaper too !!!

I have been doing this for probably 15 years. YES it is cheaper, PLUS you do not have to add cloloring (which I don't think is good for the hummingbirds anyway ;)

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesJune 2, 2016
👔
🎆
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Hummingbird-Food-2.html