MiscellaneousCrafts

House Address Sign Using Glass Nuggets

Vote for this contest contender!

My daughter just bought a house and needed an address sign. I asked if I could make it. It was fun!

Total Time: 6 hours

Yield: 1

1. Make sure your numbers aren't too big for your board and figure out where and how you want them placed. Glue the numbers to the sign.
  2. Once you determine how many nuggets of each color you want, make sure they fit nicely on the numbers. Some of the gems are bigger and might need to be slanted a bit, or even set sideways.
  3. Prime and paint your sign. I used a primer and paint in one and put on two coats. My phone wasn't available to me when the painting was done, but it was all white. Then I glued on the nuggets.
  4. At first, I was going to mix and match the colors, but when I sent them to her for approval, she thought it would look nice to have them one color for each number. But aqua and yellow didn't work so we made some clear ones purple. It took about four coats of the paint, but I advise you to use colored ones that are colored all the way through.
  5. I weighed down the numbers and the nuggets for about 24 hours under a couple of heavy notebook binders. Once I knew the glue was dry, I put it in the bathtub and shellacked it. That dried for about 24 hours, too. Have the fan on or if you can, take outside.
  6. We used four flat braces to hang it. The bottom went into the signs back and the top went into the side of the house where she hung it. Make sure the screws that go into the back are short enough to not poke through the wood. Hang and you are golden!
  7. Ad

8. NOTE: If your sign is going to hang out in the elements, make sure the shellac is a good brand name. If you can, hang it under shelter. She wanted it under her light so it can be seen better at night. N-JOY!!

Turned out really nice love it!!

Thanks! I love it too but more importantly she does!!

Great job, Sandi! And congrats to your daughter on the new house with the awesome bling ;)

Thanks! I will!!