House Trained Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside

I adopted a 9 year old Greyhound from a friend who is unable to care for him any longer. The dog has been with us 5 months and is walked several times a day, but from the first day he has been urinating and defecating in the house. I am at a point where I am going to have the dog put to sleep if I can't find a solution.

Best Answer

This is normal for older dogs who were raised by another person. The dog is missing this person and so he is peeing and pooping in the house. You will have to retrain this dog for your home and you might have to get a home kennel to keep him in during the day when you aren't home.

Best Answer

If you are not able to to train this dog, please consider surrendering it to a rescue or the humane society. Euthanasia seems a little premature a solution for the dog. It is very common for a dog that has been rehomed to have this type of problem. It is often a sign that the new home may not be the best place for the animal. The dog will often respond very differently in a new environment. Let him have a second chance.

The dog has been through a big change. I am assuming there is nothing physically wrong. You will have to train again as if he were a puppy.