House Trained Dog Pooping Inside

Recently, my 3 year old dog has been pooping in the house. He's been house trained since he was 2 months old. He's always really good about going outside. He gets let out regularly, but recently he's been pooping inside. Usually he goes in the living room or kitchen right in the open where we can see it. We've recently had a lot of rain, but that's over and it's been sunshine and blue skies. Not even 30 minutes ago he went outside. Peed and pooped, then just pooped on the rug about 10 minutes after he came back inside. He didn't go to the door to be let out, nothing. We haven't had a baby, we haven't moved, there haven't been any big changes in his diet (all solid poops, no diarrhea). When I scold him, I don't hit him or anything. I just show him what he did and in a stern voice ask "What did you do?", never call him bad or anything. Why is he doing this out of nowhere and how can I get him to stop? He's a neutered male Pit Bull Dachshund mix.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

Make sure you take away his food between meals. I would contact the vet to make sure there is nothing physically wrong with him.

He gets fed one cup in the morning and a half cup in the evening, nothing in between unless it's food scrap that fell on the floor. He's been to the vet, he's fine.

Sorry for your frustration. If the vet checked everything and said he is fine, it's a possibility that he is having anxiety about something. If he does it right in front of you, he may be trying to communicate to you his feelings. He may just prefer the surface than that one outside. Try to limit his territory inside. Dogs typically don't poop where they eat and sleep. Give him more space at a time as he goes where he is supposed to.

Good luck to you both!

Anonymous

CREATE A DOG HOUSE

He has a kennel, he gets put in there if he'll be alone.

Hello. My dog has just started doing this. Did you ever find out why your dog was going inside? Thank you