How to Make a Panini Without a Panini Maker

Category Kitchen Tools
Even without a panini grill, you can still make a delicious grilled panini sandwich. This is a guide about using bacon press as a panini weight.

Here is how I make delicious panini sandwiches without buying the very expensive panini pans that are out today.

Heat 1/2 to 1 tsp. canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place one panini sandwich with your choice of fillings in the pan. Place a medium sized skillet on top of the panini, then weigh it down with a couple cans. Cook the panini until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the panini, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook until the second side is browned to your liking, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with another 1/2 or 1 tsp. oil and cook the remaining panini.

I fix these often and my husband loves them! Depending on your size of sandwich, you may be able to cook both at one time. Enjoy!

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

While using my bacon press as a panini weight, I was grumbling to myself about the potential cleanup mess afterwards. I decided to wrap a piece of parchment paper around the weighted plate, secured with a piece of tape on the top. If it made a mess, most of it would be on the disposable paper.

Since I took all of these precautions, there was no mess. If I hadn't, well, you know what would have happened.

By Holly from Richardson, TX