How to Make a Panini Without a Panini Maker

Category Kitchen Tools
Even without a panini grill, you can still make a delicious grilled panini sandwich. This is a guide about using bacon press as a panini weight.

Here is how I make delicious panini sandwiches without buying the very expensive panini pans that are out today.

Heat 1/2 to 1 tsp. canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place one panini sandwich with your choice of fillings in the pan. Place a medium sized skillet on top of the panini, then weigh it down with a couple cans. Cook the panini until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the panini, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook until the second side is browned to your liking, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with another 1/2 or 1 tsp. oil and cook the remaining panini.

I fix these often and my husband loves them! Depending on your size of sandwich, you may be able to cook both at one time. Enjoy!

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

While using my bacon press as a panini weight, I was grumbling to myself about the potential cleanup mess afterwards. I decided to wrap a piece of parchment paper around the weighted plate, secured with a piece of tape on the top. If it made a mess, most of it would be on the disposable paper.

Since I took all of these precautions, there was no mess. If I hadn't, well, you know what would have happened.

By Holly from Richardson, TX