Identifying Demitasse Cups

Category China
Demitasse or espresso cups are for some a collectible item. Identifying them can be somewhat difficult if they are unmarked and uncommon.

Are these cups McCoy? The reason I ask is that many McCoy items I have and have seen are just marked USA, but then some are also marked with the McCoy along with the USA. These cups were found many, many years ago at a flea market due to the fact that I have a huge fondness for demitasse cups.
I had many of my grandmother's different sets, but back in 1984 I was blindsided by a tornado which almost destroyed everything I own. I was only left with a bare minimum of my grandmother's bowls, china, crystal, and demitasse cups; just to name a few. I think that hurt worse than losing my home! It was devastating because that was all I had left of her and my other grandma. They had both been my heart and soul for my entire childhood until the age of 29. Both my grandmothers were big mentors in my life and I loved them so deeply and that's why still to this day, at age 61, I treasure anything of theirs and items from their time of life. I think they're so beautiful, amazing, and just simply gorgeous. They don't make things like that anymore. Thank you for listening to my rambling and I appreciate you looking into these cups for me.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

McCoy had a lot of different markings but I'm not sure that I have seen a genuine McCoy with just USA but I am diffidently not an expert so do not go by this.
There are so many excellent McCoy sites and forums that I feel sure you can find out (for sure) from asking on one of these sites. Show good individual pictures with no clutter because these members are truly collectors and like good clean photos as well as size.

Here is a link to some markings:

www.google.com/search?q=mccoy+pottery+marks&tbm...

This is a really great site for all kinds of information:

www.mccoypottery.com/mark.html

For me - this is the best forum to ask your questions (not value).

mccoypotterycollectorssociety.org/.../

Best Answer

Thanks for the additional pix! That was helpful. I think, not 100%, but pretty sure these are Homer Laughlin pieces. Maybe from a restaurant line in the 1940-1950s.

The HL and McCoy are often mixed up. There are several Homer Laughlin groups on Facebook and a few folks there specialize in the restaurantware type pieces. I would ask to join and follow their posting rules. It's all about the handles and these are inline with the HL vs McCoy.

Post back what you learn. These are great pieces no matter who made them and that they have sentimental value is the best!!

Can you please show the handles? And all the markings? Thanks!

Thank you so very much for your information. I don't really need to know their worth but that's the option they give you in the pull down menu so I had to choose it. I'm still not really computer savvy in knowing about these forums and such - like, can I just bust in or do I need to be invited - silly things like that?

But, with your great information in hand, I'm traveling with it and hopefully can get an answer. I'm just really curious about old dishes and such. They all have such a great history and I love old stories. I thank you again for taking the time out to answer my question Ma'am!!! I really appreciate you!!

Consumer Advice Collectibles ChinaMay 16, 2020
😎
👔
🐛
🎆
🌻
😷

Generated 2020-05-17 23:13:24 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️