Identifying Pearls?

Are this Akoya pearls or Golden South Sea Pearls? I know it's difficult by means of a picture . There are 9 mm 180 pearls in total. Does anybody know its worth whether they are Akoya or Golden South Pearls? Any help is welcomed!

Answers

Best Answer

Here is a link on the difference between the two pearl varieties www.angara.com/.../

That said, pearls are one thing I would never get any internet input on because they must be seen in person by an expert to be identified as genuine or not.

This is where I suggested you find at least 3 local jewelers you trust to help you with this process. Do not let them take the items out of your sight and ask that any verifications be done in person so they can show you what they see and why they say what they say.

They can help you value the pieces for your market also--as values may be slightly different in different locations.

Post back what you learn about yours. It can then be used as guidance to help others know what to look for...but again, identification must be done in person, by an expert or you risk getting false or misleading answers.

Blessings!

Best Answer

Your pearls look lovely but what are they?
I would say to take them to a high end jewelry store but I can tell that most jewelry stores have independently owned repair shops and some of these also include an appraiser. My personal experience with jewelry stores is they will usually not even look at an item if all you are wanting is information. Some may examine your item if you are wanting to sell but may not tell you what you have - only tell you what they will pay or maybe not on their wanted list.
A couple of my local stores have their own appraisers and they may look at your item and then tell you what an appraisal will cost.
Now - I'm speaking about jewelry stores in my area. They do not give free anything but my area has a large number of residents that have jewelry 'galore' and many are wanting to sell but want to shop around first. So the stores know this and offer no free service.
Hopefully, jewellery stores in your area are different and you can gather some good information.

That said, usually larger pawn shops will give free information and give you a price they would pay for your item. Can you trust them? Not really when you have something like this but here is where you can go to several and compare notes. Some of the shops will not know what they so do not provide any information and just take note of what they say. This can get tricky so good luck with your 'research'.
Experienced/knowledgeable people can gleam a lot from just looking at the way the pearls are strung as well as the pearls themselves.

Selling your pearls online can be very tricky also as there are plenty of 'pearls' listed for sale claiming to be one or the other but generally no proof so anyone willing to pay big money will usually buy from a large jewelry store or a store that sells online.
All that I'm saying is that you should have an appraisal if these turn out to be authentic or it will be difficult to get their true value.

You do not say where these came from but that looks like a jewelers tag and box so were you provided any other information?
Provenance or paper stating more than size and number?

The string does not appear to have a clasp and pretty long to be a necklace even a double strand so do you have any information on why they are in this long strand?

Value can only be determined after you find out more information so please let us know how it goes.

Answer this Question
Consumer Advice Collectibles JewelryApril 30, 2021
👔
👒
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-Pearls-1.html