Identifying Spiders?

Identifying Spiders? - spider with legs towards front and back of bodyI would like help identifying these spiders. The first picture is of one found on a bed. The second one was found in the bathroom. Is it a false widow?

Identifying Spiders?

Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 425 Answers
Best Answer

I think the bottom picture that you have labeled a False Widow is actually a Northern Cobweb Spider -- Steatoda borealis. The photos I found seem to match it exactly.
The spider in the top picture looks like a black GROUND SPIDER -- Family Gnaphosidae. Check online to see these two spider types to see if you think they match. Good luck.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
Best Answer

Your spiders have probably been identified but mainly they do appear to be in the 'common' house spider category but not necessarily a welcome guest.

I do not like to have any type of spider in my house and will usually kill it without wondering what species it happens to be. My daughter will usually try to trap it and take it to the far back corner of our yard but that's her - not me.

If you see more than one I would consider taking steps to eliminate them maybe locate their entrance area.

If in doubt about an insect, you can always send photos to your county extension agency as they will tell you what it is and how to remove them.
ask.extension.org/ask

visual.ly/.../harmless-or-deadly-how-identify-common...
www.thriftyfun.com/.../Getting-Rid-of-Spiders.html

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks

Tis the season for these!! Not poisonous, but terrifying! I take a plastic cup and a piece of paper, cover with cup, slide paper, take outside far, far, far from the house.

They help keep down bad bug populations so I refuse to kill them. Just want them not visiting my house!

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts

We have so many spiders here in Tahiti and there are so many different types of spiders. Lucky for us we don't have any poisonous spiders here on the islands. When I was a kid we called the spiders with the long legs a Daddy Longleg spider. I know this is not the real name for them but it was what they looked like because of how long their legs were. The other one is a ground spider or just a typical spider that loves to spin webs all over the place. In my home, you can clean spider webs today, and within a few hours take a look around and you have new webs that are forming or have already been spun. Just remove them from your home and take them outdoors and let them go again.

This way they can help your garden if you have a big problem in your area. if you don't feel like traping them it is fine to just remove them from your home and throw them in the trash. I normally just leave mine alone but need to clean the webs in the house on a daily basis. Certain times of the year we do get some night bugs that can be a real pain and the spider webs seem to keep them mostly under control. I just hate the webs in the home and at times in the garden, they need to be removed in order to clean the area. As long as they aren't dangerous you have nothing to worry about.

Home and Garden Pest Control SpidersSeptember 26, 2020
🐛
👔
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-Spiders.html