Identifying a Bug?

A small bug on a wooden floor.This bug was crawling on my dog and then I saw another crawling on my floor. I live on land in Houston, Texas and want to make sure this isnt harmful. It was in my bedroom and also on my dog.

Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 320 Answers

Likely a common carpet beetle. Not a problem to see one or two, but best to take steps since they lay eggs in Spring. They are not harmful to humans or pets but might eat natural fibers. Small openings in window screens should be repaired. Diatomaceous earth can be applied outside near doors and windows. Brush doggo frequently. Keep a spray bottle of straight vinegar (any type) to zap them when seen. Vacuum up dust bunnies and, if they start to become uncontrollable, have the carpets steam cleaned. They're also fond of soiled laundry, so best to keep the hamper tightly closed. Good luck!

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

Put the bug in a sealed bag. Take it to any place that sells pesticides. They will identify it for you and sell you the correct pesticide.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks

The bug in the picture is too small to really identify but it looks like a beetle. there are many types of beetles and each kind does damage in different ways.

Take this picture or a closer-up one if possible to an Ace or TrueValue hardware store and ask for help. These smaller stores will pay more attention to your questions than most clerks in larger stores.

You can also send pictures and ask questions online at your local county extension service offices as they know what type of bugs are prevalent in your area.
www.gardeningknowhow.com/extension-search

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsMay 12, 2022
🌻
🐛
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-a-Bug-14.html