MiscellaneousCollectibles

Identifying a Decorated Tray

Is this just a random tray or does the etching signify something? I know 13 colonies could be represented by the stars. And the bird is possibly a eagle or dove with branch. There are no markings.

Usually items of value have a marking for silver or gold or a manufacturer mark. Since yours has neither, it is probably a random item.

Neat item!

This is my thoughts based on the little knowledge I have picked up from my late father in law who was a civil war buff.

I think this is an eagle vs a dove--I think it is highly stylized--which means it is not an exact replica of the eagle that is often seen on civil war items. I am pasting two exxamples of civil war style eagles:

en.wikipedia.org/.../Colonel_(United_States)#/media/File:UCWColonel.jpg

On this one you have to scroll down pretty far to find the one I am referencing:

The other reason I think it is an eagle vs. a dove all of the peace doves I have seen did not have the stars on them and they are usually carrying the peace offering--the olive branch or other leafy branch in their mouth.

What is the tray made from? It looks to be newer because of the stylized graphics. If you are trying to sell it, you could always advertise it as an eagle or dove and let people make up their own mind...be vary wary of putting the term civil war in your ad as it can cause a ruckus with eBay if you word things incorrectly...I have never quite figured out their method for shutting down ads, but there are terms that cause them to look at ads and close them down without warning.

Do you know the history of the piece? It has a 1960s vibe to it...is it from that era or new retro?

Thanks for sharing it!