Identifying an Old Oak Trestle Table?

So this is a late 17th century Baroque Italian trestle table maybe "STYLE" table. Below are some pictures taken from under the top. I do not think it is 17th century looking at the wood work and the way the rail is attached to the underside of the table! Can any one confirm this?

Best Answer

My thoughts are the table is made between 1800s to early 1900s. I saw a similar pattern cutout in the side of a small 3 leg half table which rested against the wall. Your table has a heavy wood beam the table top sits upon and the underside appears to be uneven possibly hand hewn with a plane tool. The cutout boards are two joined together and the pattern was traced onto two separate boards and cut out creating matched pieces of a bell like appearance. Many people of that time period made their own furniture as wood was easily available, often free or cheap and this trestle table is structurally sound; yet simplistic in style. I notice what looks like painted over large head screws or else they are wood dowels inserted and pounded into the holes easing their way out in time. The year of 1812, screws were created which can provide a time period for their use. You can then ID your table as being created in the 1800s or thereafter if screws are used.

In the last picture the woodwork looks very uniform, which indicates that it is machine made and not hand maid. I think the table is newer than the 17th century. A dealer is your best source.

In the 17th century, everything was handmade and not machine made. From the looks of your table it looks like this was machine made which leads me to believe it is not from the era you are saying.

I would guess this is more from the 19th century than the 17h century. I would take it to a dealer to confirm this. They would know for sure how old it really is.

Can you please show the whole table and have it taken in a brighter setting? What would be helpful for me also is a photo of any screws and metal pieces also.

For me, these photos are too dark and do not show nearly enough to give any kind of guesstimate on the age. I am doubting 17th century simply because what little I can make out is in great shape, but great shape can be well preserved or new...there is just is not enough info for anyone who deals in furniture to know here.

Looking forward to offering more help with more info.

Also, are you looking to value the piece to sell it? If so, let me know your city and state and I can see what I can tell you.

Thanks and blessings!

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Antique FurnitureNovember 1, 2019
😎
🐛
🌻
📓
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-a-Old-Oak-Trestle-Table-1.html