AdviceHealth & Beauty

Infected Tongue Piercing

I just recently had my tongue pieced and it has been 3 weeks since then. On the second week of my healing process, I changed the top ball to plastic as I was worried about my teeth. As the days went by, I noticed a white bump starting to appear around my bottom ball. It's a little tender. It's almost like a lump of tongue flesh? Please help, is it infected? Then how can I get rid of it asap?

By Amanda Hirini.

Best Answer

I would not wait very long before going to a doctor, even if it's a walk-in clinic but, you could try swishing some Hydrogen Peroxide (the kind you get at the drug store) and water first. A dental hygenist friend of mine recommended only 2 products be used; baking soda and peroxide. You might try a 50/50 mix of water/peroxide to start. Good luck!

I would recommend putting the other ball back in. I never changed mine over the years and I've never had an infection. You'll get used to talking without hitting your teeth. I've had mine for 10 years with no problems.Remember that stainless steel is best for piercings. Good luck!

Contact the shop where you got the piercing and get their advice. They should have given you a care sheet with instructions when you got it done, maybe with some cleaner or salt to make a sanitizing solution.

I don't have a tongue piercing but I did get my left nostril pierced in January. They told me not to remove it or change it for 4-6 weeks. I cleaned it with a salt solution daily and I had no problems but tongues might be trickier.

Good luck. I would contact your doctor if it gets any worse.