Information About Japanese Vases

I'm interested in learning about the history of these vases. I got them from a garage sale years ago. Beautiful and look hand painted. Are they considered antique?

Answers

Best Answer

There is no way that we can tell very much about your vase as something like this usually has to be held in your hands.
The made in Japan is probably from the 50's -70's.
This was the period that factories in Japan were really pumping out all kinds of inexpensive items and most likely yours is one of those.
I would think it would not be very valuable but you could list it at a higher price and lower it if no one makes an offer. Maybe $50 if you have 2 vases.

I think you should post pictures and questions on several of these sites so you'll know for sure about the value.
You will need better pictures - take pictures on the same level as the vases so you can se e the full vase (your pictures are taken looking down at the vase so the full vase cannot be seen).
www.asianart.com/.../index.php?method=detailAll&Id=38260
discussion.chinese-antique-porcelain.../
bidamount.com/the-bidamount-asian-art-forum
www.antiquers.com/.../
www.asianart.com/.../

www.reddit.com/.../search?q=whats%20it%20worth&restrict_sr...

Best Answer

Your piece does look unusual...not the run of the mill flowers.

Here is some info on dating pieces that say made in Japan:

ourpastimes.com/date-pottery-6536411.html

If it was 1921 it is technically an antique this year. If it is between 1922 and 1945 or 1953 and later it is vintage.

Is it enamel?

The figures look like "male and female immortal subjects", which were a common theme of Japanese art in the 1920s and beyond.

I would suggest taking it to a reputable reseller/store and see if they can look at it and tell you what you have.

There are some vases like this that if they are enamel can be quite valuable, others are reproductions of the old vases and have very little resale value. It will take someone seeing it to know and help.

Post back what you learn!

Answer this Question