Information on Antique Military Chest?

0
Share
2
Save
Follow
Print

An old military chest.Hello, I recently picked up this chest at a garage sale to add to my collection. I would love to learn some information about it and have not been able to find another one like it. Initially, I was drawn to it because of how heavy and solid the chest is but then I opened it up and saw it have a fold-down compartment which really intrigued me.

I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out but this one has really stumped me. My best guess is maybe some sort of surveyors tool chest? regardless I think it's a great piece and glad to have it and I appreciate any information you could give me in any idea what the value of it might be just for my own curiosity. Thank you!

An old military chest.

The markings on the site of an old chest.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

I would send pictures to the Antique Road Show at pbs.org

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks

Antique/vintage trunks have always fascinated me but they can be difficult to research.
All wood with metal hinges? Measurements?
Actually, your pictures are not very good in showing all of the trunk as most pictures have only parts of the trunk showing (pictures are also very bright in spots) and pictures should show the full trunk, front, top (closed and open), sides/handles as there is researchable information in pictures like this.

I think you could probably obtain information from some of the antique trunk forums as this does appear to be a unique trunk and history could be very interesting.
The writing/numbers are sometimes found on old military trunks so this might be something also.

You can join any of these forums and ask questions:
Reddit is very good..
www.reddit.com/.../?q=antique%20trunk
www.antiquers.com/.../
trapperman.com/.../Antique_trunk
www.thisoldtrunk.com/.../index.html

Other members will probably have a lot more information so keep checking for new answers.

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureJuly 6, 2021
🌻
😎
🐛
Generated 2021-07-07 23:10:01 in 890 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Information-on-Antique-Military-Chest.html