Identifying an Old Trunk?

Identifying an Old TrunkDoes anyone know the maker of this type of trunk?

Answers

Hi I believe have the same trunk. Were you able to identify it?
Thanks Carol

Answer this Question

4 More Questions

I want to know more about my antique trunk. I'm just curious what it is worth, but more importantly what do I actually have.

An old wooden trunk.

An old wooden trunk.

The lock on an old trunk.

The inside of an old trunk.

The inside of an old trunk.

The inside of an old trunk.

Answers

Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 320 Answers
Best Answer

This is a rounded-top (also referred to as dome, curved, and barrel-top) steamer or "packer" trunk, popular in 1870-1920. This type of trunk originally were more expensive than flat-tops and remain slightly more valuable. The brass fittings are nice, and it appears the internal tray compartment is included.

Very beautiful! Many manufacturers didnt mark their trunks or marked them with a simple paper label that didnt last. Assuming nothing has been altered, it may be worth several hundred U.S. dollars.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
Best Answer

There are a lot of different stories online about how trunks came to be named 'Jenny Lind' but from all accounts several companies made the Jenny Lind but the only way to know which company made each trunk had a paper 'tag' on the trunk that provided the company information.
There were many companies that produced this style of trunk at the time so without a maker's label it would be difficult to know which one did the work.

You can see your style trunk and other styles on Google:
www.google.com/search?q=Jenny+Lind+trunk&client...

Here are some of the comments found online:
First story:
"The trunks were named after the Swedish singer Jenny Lind, who came to America in 1850 and toured with P.T. Barnum she carried a distinctive trunk which became all in the rage, it was eventually named for her: The Jenny Lind Trunk. It is up for debate as to whether she brought her trunk over from Europe or bought it in America. Rounded on the top and bottom they are sometimes called Saratogas if fancy enough. Rounded on the top but straight on the bottom they are not Saratogas. Both are however considered Jenny Linds ".

Second story:
"There has never been any proof or evidence that trunks of this style were made in England. But I did find proof in early American business directories that this style trunk was made in America even before Jenny Lind came here in 1850. Small etchings of this type trunk were used in advertisements in business directories from 1849 and 1850 and later.

So, that does prove that they were not copies of trunks that Jenny Lind brought. Also, the real proof was recently discovered by Jim Cardoza and he has written a article about this also. Jenny Lind was actually given a trunk of this style while traveling in America, by a trunk maker from Cincinnati, OH. She kept the trunk and used it as a hope chest as she was getting married after her U.S. tour. The trunk later was given to someone who brought it back to the U.S. and it wound up being sold here. But it was advertised as "Jenny Lind's trunk" and after that time the name stuck for these trunks. So the name was really given to these many years after her tour in 1852."

This one sold for $395 in 2019 - they called it a child's trunk:
www.thisoldtrunk.com/.../index.php?main_page=product_info...

You will notice these trunks were made in numerous styles. Difference in number of straps. tool work and even shape.

www.legacytrunks.com/.../Jenny%20Lind%20307450%20Frames%20page...

www.collectorsweekly.com/.../127374-jenny-lind-trunk-im-not-sure

Value seems to be about $400 but not enough sold items to say for sure.

You may be able to contact these sites and gain more information:
antiquetrunksandchests.com/.../
www.thisoldtrunk.com/.../index.html
www.antiquers.com/.../
trapperman.com/.../Antique_trunk

Bronze Post Medal for 2021. 31 Posts
Best Answer

Your trunk has a hourglass shape if you look at it from the side. This is a distinctive feature of Jenny Lind trunks. These trunks are named after the Swedish singer of the same name.

Many sources say that this singer brought a trunk of such an unusual shape with her when she came to America in 1850, as she had a tour in 1850-1852 along with PT Barnum. Here in this article, the author shows an advertisement with an image of a trunk made in the form of an hourglass: hmsantiquetrunks.com/.../8437214_orig.jpg, hmsantiquetrunks.com/.../3444689_orig.jpg. This advertisement is dated 1849, that is, one year before the arrival of Jenny Lind in America. So these trunks began to be made about in 1849. The author of the article believes that such a trunk was presented to this singer during her arrival in America, and after that these trunks began to be called by her name hmsantiquetrunks.com/.../6837290_orig.jpg , hmsantiquetrunks.com/.../6352276_orig.jpg.

Jenny Lind trunks were usually very decorative, with brass locks, usually leather covered, with several iron or brass bands around the trunk, fastened with large brass studs, and they curved in at the center, elaborate interiors with paper lining and trimmings.
These trunks were very popular and the style continued until the 1870s. They were made in many sizes and varieties, including doll trunks. Some also refer to these trunks as "stagecoach" trunks because they were also used for stagecoach travel.
So, Jenny Lind trunks were made from the late 1840s-1850s to the 1870s.

I found several chests with the same lock as yours: www.etsy.com/.../reserved-for-jimmartn-antique-1850s..., www.etsy.com/.../antique-jenny-lind-trunk-stagecoach, www.worthpoint.com/.../ladycomet-victorian-refinished-jenny..., www.worthpoint.com/.../1850s-jenny-lind-trunk-1926510282, www.worthpoint.com/.../antique-jenny-lind-trunk-26444972, www.worthpoint.com/.../antique-jenny-lind-travel-trunk-1885428274, www.collectorsweekly.com/.../127374-jenny-lind-trunk-im-not-sure

Your trunk was most likely made in the 1860s because it looks like the trunk of the Civil War era. Due to the need for metal and leather in that period, little tin was used in the manufacture of trunks. The surface was originally covered with paper. The good condition of the wood outside of your trunk is due precisely to the fact that your trunk was originally covered with paper.

If there are no marks on the trunk, it is very difficult to determine manufacturer and/or exact year. I doubt anyone can determine the manufacturer or the exact year from the lock on your trunk.

So, you have Civil War Era Jenny Lind (1850's-1860's) All Wood Antique Trunk with Original Brass Bound Straps and Large Brass Nail Caps and a Brass Lock with a Feather Hiding the Keyhole, Stagecoach Trunk. The price is about 500-600$.

Answer this Question

Hello, I recently picked up this chest at a garage sale to add to my collection. I would love to learn some information about it and have not been able to find another one like it. Initially, I was drawn to it because of how heavy and solid the chest is but then I opened it up and saw it have a fold-down compartment which really intrigued me. An old military chest.

I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out but this one has really stumped me. My best guess is maybe some sort of surveyors tool chest? regardless I think it's a great piece and glad to have it and I appreciate any information you could give me in any idea what the value of it might be just for my own curiosity. Thank you!

An old military chest.

The markings on the site of an old chest.

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for 2021. 31 Posts
Best Answer

Your chest/trunk is green and has inscriptions, which is very typical for military trunks. It is also very typical for military trunks to paint over inscriptions and add new ones.
The compartments inside your chest were most likely used to store some kind of tool or parts of it.

I found a slightly similar trunk with compartments inside: www.worthpoint.com/.../vintage-military-green-wooden-tool.... It even has a sheet with a list of contents glued inside. Your photos are not very good quality, but your chest also seems to have something glued to the inside of the top lid.

I think you have a Military Tool / Parts Box / Chest / Trunk www.ebay.com/.../363370842208, possibly from 1940's-1950's. It will be very difficult to determine which tool was stored in it.

The price is about $100-250
picclick.com/1940s-WW2-WWII-Military-Footlocker..., militaryauction.org/.../military-trunks

Answer this Question

I found one on my bed and the other in a container where I store food. I am freaking out. Is it a bed bug?

My boyfriend who sleeps with me every night does not have bites and neither do I.

A small bug on a white surface.

A small bug on a white surface.

A small bug on a white surface.

Answers

NOT a bed bug defiantly. We had those before. If it were, you would both have bites on your bodies. Alot of bites!

Bronze Post Medal for 2021. 31 Posts

This is a Sawtoothed Grain Beetle hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/sawtoothed-grain-beetle

They attack almost any dry food.
"In homes, sawtoothed grain beetle problems begin when residents bring infested food into the kitchen. The insects quickly spread to other bagged or boxed products. In their adult form, sawtoothed grain beetles may even leave the pantry and appear in other areas of the house. Beetle-infested items often cause mold problems due to moisture buildup. Aside from tainting stored goods, sawtoothed grain beetles do not cause many issues for homeowners. The pests cannot bite or sting and do not infest fabrics. However, it is crucial to identify and remove all affected products to prevent reinfestation." www.orkin.com/.../sawtooth-grain-beetle

Throw away infested food and clean the empty shelves with a vacuum to remove any insects and food particles.
Store new food products in tightly sealed containers.
Insecticide application is the final step.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

A bed bug has a more rounded shape. If you had bed bugs, you would have bites and blood stains on your sheets. I would use an insecticide. I would also wash out all cabinets and store food in sealed containers.

Bronze Feedback Medal for 2021. 15 Feedbacks

This is NOT a bedbug, so relax. It appears to be a Sawtoothed Grain Beetle. They do not fly or bite, but they can create a problem in a kitchen or other areas of a house where a source of food is available. The sawtoothed grain beetle is not attracted to light and it does not fly.

The sawtoothed grain beetle does not infest whole grain. Its flat body allows it to enter tiny cracks and infest broken kernels. They infest: Birdseed, Cereals, Rolled Oats, Chocolates, Dried fruits, Flour, Pastas, Rice, Sugar, Pet foods, Nuts, Tobacco, Fried Meats and Yeast. They can also be seen scavenging food crumbs dropped on the floor.

The female beetle deposits eggs in cracks in food or on ground food, like flour. When the eggs hatch, the larvae feed and grow. When the larvae are ready to change to adult beetles, they make a cocoon from food particles. In warm, humid conditions, the entire life cycle, from egg to mature adult, takes about two months. There can be several generations per year.

You have some work to do to rid your home of these pests. Try these methods to help get rid of the pests:

Throw away infested food - Empty cabinets and pantries and check every package

Vacuum - Clean the empty shelves with a vacuum to remove any insects and food particles, then wipe down cabinets with white distilled vinegar and let dry. Also do a thorough vacuum of the entire home.

Practice good food storage habits - Store new food products in tightly sealed glass, metal or plastic containers, NOT in boxes or bags. Store pet food in containers with a tight lid. And properly store any DIY rice-filled heating packs or toys.
Check this for more info, and photos of the adult and the larva:
extension.entm.purdue.edu/.../E-228.html

Good luck.

Answer this Question

I have searched the internet but can't quite identify this trunk and what year it was made and value of it's worth? Appreciate any help!

An old wooden trunk.

Answer this Question

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Antique FurnitureOctober 5, 2021
🎃
🎂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-an-Old-Trunk-4.html