Instant Pot Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli and Beef (Bun Bo Hue)
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,298 Posts
July 20, 2018
This is my version of Vietnamese rice vermicelli and beef also known as "bun bo hue" made in an instant hot pot!
This is healthier to make at home versus going to a restaurant and can serve up to 4 people (average cost $3-5 a person depending what you already have at home, compared to $9-10 + tip at a restaurant). Plus no broth is necessary!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 4 people
- 3 qt water
- 1 lb beef shank
- 6-8 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 onion
- 3" ginger root
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 4 stems lemon grass
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 star anise
- 1 package meatballs
- 1 package fried pork patty
- 1 lemon
- Garnish mint
- 1 Tbsp salt
- On the stove, fill a pot half way and boil meat to get rid of the impurities for a few minutes. Rinse meat afterwards.
- Prep ingredients. Peel lemon grass and chop off the leaves (keep whole stick). Slice 3" ginger root into 3 sections and peel an onion.
- Turn instant pot on to soup/broth setting and pour water in. Allow to boil then add onion, ginger root, lemon grass, star anise, cinnamon stick, salt, brown sugar and meat.
- Quickly over medium heat combine equal parts of olive oil and cayenne pepper to make chili oil for the broth. *Optional more or less depending on spice you want.
- Filter strain the chili oil and add to instant pot. Close lid and allow to cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, hydrate noodles in water then boil according to your noodles package instructions.
- Optional ingredients: meatballs and fried pork patty (chopped) and will be added into pot after completed cooking. Give pot a stir and taste broth. Add more salt or fish sauce if needed. Wash mint and slice lemons for garnishing later.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.