General AdviceConsumer Advice

Is Walmart Liable for Spilled Paint?

So I bought a can of paint at Walmart today and I'm pretty sure that she did not properly seal my paint can. I put it in my van and when I got home it was tipped over and the entire gallon is all over the inside of my van now. Do you think Walmart will cover to have my carpet replaced and my van detailed? If the paint can had been properly sealed it would've never spilt when it tipped over.

I would say there is no harm in asking as Walmart does stand behind their sales but it is kinda like getting home with broken eggs, or spilled milk or any liquid container - whose fault is it? Walmart will replace or refund for the product but not the clean-up.

I would take photos and receipt to the store and request to see the manager - be calm and discuss it with them. If you do not like their solution then you need to ask for their corporate office information and then follow through with your case.

It is possible that Walmart will have your van cleaned but I do not think they will pay to have the carpet replaced but this is just my personal opinion so best to take your receipt and photos and do it soon.

I would ask them. Show your receipt. They can figure out who the cashier was

I do not believe the manager will confront an employee about something like this (not while in the work area) but they may be cautioned later about something like this and certainly to be more careful.

You probably paid for the paint in their paint department but your receipt will show what employee handled your item and possibly did not close it properly. I do not think Walmart will hold the employee responsible for this error (?) and make them pay(?).

I feel sure this will not be the first time that a manager has had to deal with this kind of mess but one incident does not set a precedent so I'm sure any case like this will be handled as the manager sees Walmart's responsibility and will make his own decision. Your part will be to accept their decision or ask them to send your case to their corporate offices. You should hear from them within a few days. If not, then it will be your decision to contact them yourself.

Oh that's too bad :( I would contact them ASAP and let them know. I would not call in irate-- it does not help the situation. But you seem like a calm person already, sharing us your story. Tell them about what happened and be ready to even show them these photos. I would hope they would help you as much as possible. If they aren't willing to help, you could ask for one level higher up in management and see if there's anything they could do for you. So sorry for this!

I would go in and speak to the manager. Provide photos and your receipt and see if they'd help you, or help pay cost for cleaning.

At a grocery store their employee pushed the cart right into my car and left scratches and dings. Even though there was a big sign that says not responsible for any damages I still went in and pointed out the employee. The employee was disabled and I was told he's color blind , but my car was brand new less than a year old and I was in my car the time of the incident.

The manager reimbursed my repairs of a little over $200.

I am sorry that you have this problem. The other posters are correct in that you have nothing to lose by speaking to the Walmart manager. However, I think it comes down to whether or not you checked to see if the lid on the can of paint was on tight before you left the store. That would be your responsibility as the customer. Since the spill did not happen in the store, the manager can argue that they have no control over what you did with the can after you left the store. The fact that you did not see the spill until you got home is going to be your problem with getting the store to do anything about it. Good luck.

Anonymous

I would ask the store manager, then if no results take it tot he Bentonville Arkansas corp office. However, they will probably say you should have also checked it. But on the off chance someone else had the same problem recently, they may cover it.

Oh no. Most definitely you need to let the Walmart manager know. That's horrible. They should honor your request of getting your car cleaned up.

I agree with all the other posters. But if the paint was water based, you are in luck. A good detailer can get that out with deep steam cleaning. I hope you get the service you expected.

Even if the lid was on properly, if the paint was not secured in the vehicle it could pop open and spill if tipped while driving. In a car this would mean placing it in the small foot space in the back seat area on the floor, or in the trunk secured in a cardboard box or wedged between your other trunk items, and in a van or larger vehicle it would mean secured in a tight space or even seat belted in. You never know how much centrifugal force will be created as a vehicle turns a corner or brakes hard, made worse if the paint is heavier than average, like a textured paint. That said, the manager likely will give you a replacement, but will only fund a clean-up at their discretion, but are not likely obligated to do so. I agree with everyone who said to have a pleasant demeanor when you complain, it will get you farther than going in angry. Good luck!

Not sure what Walmart's policy is, but it can't hurt to ask. Show them your photos too. If a clerk says no, talk to the store manager. Good luck!