Italian Sausage Stew
I got this recipe from a friend and then tweaked it to my own tastes. Oh my, this dish is so easy and flavorful!
- 2 packages (Perri) sweet Italian sausage
- 1 box Barilla Mezze Rigatoni or regular rigatoni (cut in half after cooked), cooked halfway, drain
- 3 (14 oz) cans Italian style diced tomatoes
- 2 (14 oz) can (14 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can of water
- Veggies- minced in a chopper or processor- medium onion, 1 stalk celery, 2 cloves garlic, few leaves of basil, 1/2 each of green & red .pepper.
- 1 yellow and 1 zucchini squash, chopped (more if desired)
- Seasonings; use 1/4 tsp until you test taste; black pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, dried basil, 2 Tbls sugar and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 bag shredded Parmesan cheese for topping
- Additional water if needed
- Using a large deep and wide skillet. Take each sausage and squeeze out of the casing enough to make Small balls and drop into the skillet. Cook gently until they are golden brown, drain most of the oil.
- Return to the stove, add all minced veggies, stirring well. Then add 3 cans diced tomatoes and 2 cans of tomato sauce.
- Add all seasonings plus sugar and grated cheese.
- Let this simmer for 30 minutes.
- Now in a a large pot cook pasta half way.
- Cut in slices both squashes, then into triangles
- Add squashes on the top, stir in a boil for only 5 minutes.
- Take the same and sausages and pour over the pasta.
- If not enough sauce, add water.
- Serve with shredded Parmesan cheese on top!
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.