Keeping Flies and Gnats Off My Outside Dogs

My dogs are being eaten up with flies and gnats, They are outside dogs. Any suggestions?

By Gail from Lyman, SC

Best Answer

Try a drop or 2 of clove oil on dog collar. Flies hate cloves!

Best Answer

You do need to talk with your Vet to prevent pests. If the flies chew along the dogs ears, vaseline applied to the edges of the ears can help it to heal. But if you dont prevent the pests you will never get ahead.

Talk to your Veterinarian.

There are two steps to stop the flies from biting dogs ears. One is keeping the flies at bay with fly traps.They really work. Go to YouTube and search homemade fly traps. They really work to catch thousands of flies. You can also by them at Walmart, Amazon, and Tractor Supply. I use them all the time. I also apply Vaseline on the dogs ears. Clean the dried crusty blood off first if any with a wet rag. Flies love blood. I hear a vinegar and water spray work well too. If you start with the fly traps it will help cut down on the amount of flies around your dog's. Good luck. I hope this information helps.

The best way to get a grip on fly control for your pets is to either buy disposable fly traps, or go to YouTube and search homemade fly traps.

Using traps, and something to put on your dog's ears will help a lot.
I use SWAT that you can get at Tractor Supply, Amazon, etc. Fly spray for horses also works on dogs. Vinegar and water in a spray bottle to. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon. Clean the dried blood off of their ears with a clean wet cloth too. Flies love blood.
Good luck. I hope this helps.