Keeping Neighbor's Dog Out of My Yard

My neighbor has this Bull dog and she's got some problems. I mean we tried to be nice and she just barks, but she nipped one of my dogs and our black Lab almost got into a fight with her. She's getting kinda old so we don't want her to be fighting. We also just got a new Samoyed puppy and I mean this dog could kill her. We are about to buy an air-soft gun or something just to keep her out (we don't have a fence) and it would not be worth putting one up for just one dog.

Thanks!

Best Answer

I would reconsider putting up a fence. You have 3 dogs that need protection. Puppies, old dogs and bull dogs dont jump much, so the fence doesnt need to be huge. Check you local feed store for do it yourself fencing. I am not sure the air gun will really train the dog to stay out of your yard, and you want your dogs safe. As a last resort you can call the police, but that may result in an angry, barking dog chained next door. Good luck.

Best Answer

I do not believe neighbor's dogs should be allowed to roam the streets and neighborhoods and most cities have a lease law that states a dog must be on a leash at all times that it is not in a fenced yard or inside a building.

• I do not know where you live but most likely you will find this is a city/county law where you reside.
  • You may not be putting your dogs on a leash so reporting them may cause problems for you as well.
  • A fence is, of course, the best solution but it can be a big expense. Perhaps you could consider a smaller fenced in area just for your dogs.
  • Being a good/nice neighbor can only go so far and then it may be time to take steps to protect your animals.
  • Most likely, you could/would be held responsible if one of your dogs hurts this neighbor's dog even if he is on your property. That could cause a very bad situation but you should check this out as your dogs may be considered running loose even if they are on your property.
  • This may not seem fair but it is the way it is.
  • Check what your city ordinances say first and then take whatever steps you feel are necessary to protect your dogs.

If you have already spoken to this neighbor and have gotten nowhere, talk to her one more time and say you dont want to get the police involved, but will if this doesnt get resolved.

Pets AdviceJune 3, 2018
🎄