Kenmore Zig Zag Stitch Knob Not Working?

I was given a Kenmore 158.504 with a cabinet in good condition by a friend. I just fell in love with this one. The zigzag knob in the front does not seem to do anything though. I opened up the top access and see that the knob when turned does not move the needle sideways like it is supposed to. I have a feeling some kind of a cam is missing.

Please advise.

Depending on the age of the machine it can be an issue with the bumpers that are attached to the arm that engages the zig zag on the machine or you have an issue with the gears being worn out. You need to figure out if this is an issue with the gears or the bumpers on the inside of the machine. You have opened it up and now see it to zig zag and try turning the wheel to see what the arm does. Here you can tell if the gears are worn out or not.

It sounds like the tension is gone on the knob of your machine, -here is a link for parts -www.singeronline.com/kenmore.html

It does sound like the gears. I used to have a machine that did this, and that ended up being the problem.

I've had a Kenmore in a wood cabinet since 1976. It's not the same model as yours, but you are correct that it needs a cam to do a zigzag stitch...mine certainly does. It won't zigzag without the cam in place. Pop in the correct cam and you should have no problems.

Good luck and post back.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesMay 4, 2020
🐛
😷
📓
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Kenmore-Zig-Zag-Stitch-Knob-Not-Working.html