Kitten Nursing on Puppy?

I recently got a puppy (male, 5 months) in addition to a kitten (male, 11 weeks; I was told). I noticed last night that he was trying to nurse off of our puppy. He cries constantly until he starts suckling again. He's made my puppy's belly raw in spots. Sometimes my dog allows it, other times not. I've tried little bottles of water and stuffed animals, etc. Why is my kitten suckling still? And why on my dog but nothing else?

It sounds like the kitten was taken away from his mother too soon. You might try getting a kitten bottle and giving him the special kitten milk that's available at the grocery store. Definitely DO NOT give him regular cow's milk!

I bought the bottle from Amazon. Also, see if there's a kitten pacifier available at a pet store.

This happens a lot , the kitten misses the nurturing of the mother cat, maybe taken away from mother too soon, or maybe feeding issues. This to shall pass, there are others who have shared this - blog.chron.com/.../ and - answers.yahoo.com/.../index?qid=20080622150302AARcKny

Your kitten's behavior is normal kitten behavior and it can be it was weaned too soon or is anxious or is just finding comfort in the act.

If it continues into after a year of age, then talk to the vet as there could be other things going on.

Please protect the dog by keeping them separate since it is making the pup's skin raw. That is the bigger concern here is the pup could end up with an infection which could be serious so please do everything possible to keep them separated until the kitty's behavior is outgrown.

You can give the kitten safe toys to play with to distract it, or offer a treat to distract it and also offer lots of positive attention and play time with you or another human in the house. It may try to nurse on your fingers or toes so just be aware, you will want to dissuade that behavior also.

Post back with an update.

I think that the person you rescued the kitten from was given this kitten when it was very young and was taken from the mom. In some cases, people throw small kittens on the road and they are rescued and taken to a shelter where they will hand feed the kitten and find it a good home. This sounds like what has happened with your cat. That is why it cries so much and sucks on your dog.

Many experts agree that this can be a problem and it is a good idea to curb this. They suggest that you make a good street free environment for the kitten. Make sure you have plenty of boxes, toys, or other items there for the kitten to play with. The young cat needs plenty of love, attention, and needs to feel safe.

Don't just let the cat play alone all the time. You should play with the cat as much as possible. The dog is a good playmate but the cat should not always find the comfort it needs from sucking on the belly of your dog. This could be dangerous for the dog and could cause an infection. Try getting a small cat three and some really entertaining toys for the cat to play with. Introduce the toys and play with the cat to make sure the cat gets interested in these toys.

Pets Cats AdviceDecember 2, 2020
😷
🎉
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Kitten-Nursing-on-Puppy.html