MiscellaneousCrafts

Laundry Room Sock Matching Sign

Vote for this contest contender!

Don't you hate it when your socks get separated, then when you finally find one, you could have sworn you've seen its counterpart somewhere around the house, but you're not sure where?

Fear no more! This sign will help your lost socks find their "sole mates" by holding them in place until you find their other halves. This cost me nothing as I used a plank of wood I've had in the garage for years, along with some items from my craft room. Otherwise, it's a super cheap and fun DIY!

If you have a larger household, you might want to use a larger plank of wood. I'm the only one here with colourful designed socks, so my sign is small with two rows. :)

Total Time: 75 minutes

Yield: 1 sign

1. Paint your plank of wood. I went with a weathered look.
  2. When the paint is dry, outline your lettering in pencil to make sure your words are centered.
  3. Hammer a nail into the center of the plank.
  4. Add two more on either side, evenly spaced.
  5. Add another line of nails beneath it.
  6. Tightly wrap the end of a piece of wire on the first nail on the top row several times.
  7. Make your way across the row, wrapping wire around each nail once, until you make it to the other end. Wrap the wire around the last nail several times, then cut the wire. Do the same with the row below so you have two lines of wire going across the nails.
  8. Paint over the pencil outlined lettering.
  9. Add details, if you like. I drew hearts for these hopeful sole mates!
  10. Add clothespins to the wire, then clip on the lost socks.

Totally cute! I swear the dryer eats my socks cause I'm always left with mix match pairs. :P

Me too! I had started a bag of "possible rag socks" to clean with until I decided to make this sign. Now they are finding their mates and my feet are covered! ;)

Toosa, this is so cute.
I think it would make an adorable gift, especially if socks were included. No one would mind receiving socks as a gift if they came like this.

Love it!!

OOo BETTY I love that idea for the gift with socks! I remember I used to hate getting socks as gifts from my elders... this way would have been awesome :)

That really is cute!

Thanks, Suz! I'm so pleased with its outcome :)

It is adorable!!! Would make a great gift with new socks penned on, especially holiday socks!!!

Oooo little elves and candy canes. I couldn't agree more! Thank you!