Locating Sewing Machine Model and Serial Numbers

I bought this from a used sewing machine dealer and there are no numbers anywhere. I need a manual for it, but cannot without a number. I am hoping someone will recognize the model. Thanks in advance.

By Oneta Mutchler

Answers

I also bought a Brother machine years ago, no manual. Google 'Brother sewing machine manuals'. Go through all the manuals and maybe you will find a manual for your machine. I found a manual, but it was not exactly the model I owned, but mostly similar. Hope this will help you.
Marlene, South Africa

Finding the model number can be difficult on some models of all manufacturer's sewing machines. Going to the manufacturer website can save hours of searching through Googled images, so here is a link to the Brother US site:

www.brother-usa.com/.../#.UNgcKRy-czA

Scroll down to find the contact feature, you can choose 'home sewing and embroidery' then use the comment box to ask them how to find your model number. I don't think you can attach a photo so you may want to ask in the email if you can send them a picture to make it easier to identify your machine.

Good luck, let us know if you find your instruction manual.

I had a similar problem - was missing my Brother manual and couldn't find the number, even with the webpage help. I had to call the 1-800 customer service number and the agent helped me locate it. The number can be found on their website! Good luck!

10 More Questions

Can't find the year or a model number on a new National sewing machine.

Answers

Best Answer

I believe you would receive more usable information if you posted a picture as you say 'new' but since there are no new Standard machines we know that you must mean it is 'new' to you.
A picture helps identify the model without knowing the numbers or the year.

National Machine closed their doors in 1954 so we know it had to be before that year:
Here are some details from the National Sewing Machine history:

"National was early into the badge machine business. Large department stores and mail order houses liked to sell goods with a name exclusive to their own business. National obliged by badging the machines with whatever name was needed -- if the order was big enough."
"Somehow National never came together after the war. The company soldiered on until 1953 but then the influx of Japanese models became too much.
National Sewing Machine Company closed its doors in 1954."

If you wish to know more about your machine I would suggest that you join one or two of the vintage sewing machine forums as they have experienced members who can ask the right questions and guide you through what ever problems you may have. I believe you will really like this forum so please join and ask your questions:
www.quiltingboard.com/.../

Ismacs is a very good site but their members usually only deal with antique machines.
There is a little information about the antique National on their website:
ismacs.net/.../home.html

You may be able to contact this company and ask for information:
Contact information is the second link:

needlebar.org/.../National_Sewing_Machine_Company
needlebar.org/.../viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3770

Answer this Question

The only number I can find on an old New Home Ruby treadle sewing machine is on the front needle plate. Is that the serial number for the machine?

Answers

Best Answer

New Home sewing machine company started 1858 and the Ruby is only one of the New Home models.

• Many of the older New Home machine manuals can be found on the Janome web site.
  • Here is what Janome stated about the very old New Home machines:
  • The only information we can provide is a date of manufacture if you have the following information:
  • model number or style number
  • serial number
  • place of manufacture
  • All of this information should be on or under the needle plate area.
  • Parts, accessories and manuals for these antique machines are no longer available.
  • However, your machine manual/instructions may still be available so check your numbers from this list: These links are PDF but they are safe to use.
  • www.janome.com/.../
  • Here is a link to several models of New Home and your machine may be one of these (or very similar):
  • ismacs.net/.../new-home-sewing-machine-models.html...
  • ismacs.net/.../new-home-rotary-manual.pdf
Answer this Question

I'm trying to find a model number on a White Deluxe sewing machine. It was my mom's and is about 60 years old. Can you help with this? I found a number stamped on the bottom side. It is J-A47 105. I'm a assuming that is a serial number.

Please help.

Answers

Best Answer

The model number deals with the serial number on the bottom of the machine. This machine or the company who made the machine bought out Husqvarna-Viking back in 1960. To learn more about this machine the company asks you to go to their website www.husqvarnaviking.com/.../ and click on the Contact Us button. Now they are asking you to send them a contact with the information that is on the bottom of the machine. Tell the customer service rep you want to learn the age of your machine and they will help you right away.

Answer this Question

I have a machine that is turquoise and beige in color. The face plate is missing and the only # I have found is J-A3 4493. It looks close to the 1959 Brother Galaxie 230. This one has a zigzag stitch and is a very heavy machine.

I just need to know the make and model. It was my mother-in-law's. I think she bought it in the 70s. The belt broke and I need to find the model# to replace the belt.

Answers

Take it to a Sewing Center..... They repair all sorts of machines and can help you. I just remembered... There might be another place on the machine that will have a smaller name plate or a sticker with the name on it. It looks like a good sturdy one. I hope you find what you need.

You could also try emailing your photos to:

www.tandtrepair.com/

He does vintage machine repairs - mainly Singer but also a few other brands - and might be able to tell you the brand, model, and he quite possibly stocks the belt you need. Worth a try - he's a lovely gentleman according to my friends in the US who've kept many a fine vintage machine up and sewing thanks to him!

I just remembered ..... It might be a Janome.... I'll see if I can find out and get back

Where do I find the model number and serial number on a Good Housekeeper Deluxe 30 sewing machine? I just bought it and would like to see if I can find a manual. I'm new to sewing so I will be practicing on it.

Thank you,
Cindi from Maine

Answers

By trina (Guest Post)

Don't fret, pretty much all sewing machines have the same things. buy yourself a generic sewing book and figure it out , or check out yard sales or thrift stores which have quite a few actually. Good luck

That is nice that you are going to practice and teach yourself, I did...however, you WOULD find the manual very helpful, even though machines are somewhat alike, when there is a difference, there is a difference and you need the manual. I would call a local repair shop and ask them where on the machine you could locate the Model and Serial # and then work from there...ask again on here and do a Google search for sewing machine manuals.
If you can find the company, they may be helpful.
I got a very, very nice used Viking, minus the manual and the company copied and mailed me free of charge the majority of the pages to the manual...which I truly needed. Good luck. Also, find a friend who sews and use her brain, that is what I did with several friends.
B. Wilson

By Marc (Guest Post)

no403588

I just recieved an old sewing machine with the number at the base. Trying to figure out the manufacturer. Thank You.

By Barbara D. (Guest Post)

Do you have a manual/parts list for this machine?

burton32 AT verizon.net

I have that same machine and I can't find a manual. Have you had any luck?

I want to start a interior design studio, but I am not able to come up with a name. Please suggest some names beginning with the letter "L or C".

Thank you.

I am looking for the model # for a Brother Sewing machine, serial # k55475260. I would like to know the age and it's features.
Thank you.

I just got this New Cottage sewing machine and am trying to find out what the model number and manufacture date is. I would like to be able to get a manual for it and also for being able to order correct parts for it. The only number I found it says R 103088.

Thanks.

I bought a Brother sewing machine at a garage sale. I can't find the model number on it. Can anyone tell what model this Brother sewing machine is? I have attached a picture. Thank you.

Answers

It's impossible to tell what the model number is by just looking at a photo. Have you looked all over the machine for the model number. Remove the bottom plate and see if the number is there. If not, take the machine into a sewing machine shop and ask the repairman.

It's necessary to locate the model number on sewing machines, for repair parts and other information, but it can be difficult on older models. This is a page about how to find the model number on a New Home sewing machine.

Finding the Model Number on a New Home Sewing Machine

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Crafts SewingOctober 27, 2015
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Locating-Sewing-Machine-Model-and-Serial-Numbers.html