OdorsCleaning

Locating Source of Smell in Living Room

There is a strange smell in my living room. I can only smell in when I'm standing. it is not the couch, it smells like dog, nor the floor which is hardwood. Not the ventilation system, as I only smell it in the living room and the kitchen is only 15 ft away. The problem is I cannot describe the smell. The closest I can get is to say it smells old, dirty. I have new furniture, a new rug, and new paint on walls, I have pulled everything out of the living room and cleaned the walls and floor with bleach and put baking soda on the couch and rug. What now?

Best Answer

The smell must be coming from your attic. If you are only smelling this when you're standing in the living room, then the order is coming down from your ceiling area.

This can be caused from old insulation or even having rats up there for a long time, but are no longer there. You'll need to inspect your attic area or crawl space in your ceiling. These types of smells can come during the winter months when a heater is being used. There could be some old insulation around your heating ducks in the ceiling and this is what you're smelling.

More than likely, a mouse fell down in the wall & couldn't get out & died.

I had this happen in my new home years ago, my daughter heard scratching in the wall then it died & smelled, short of tearing a hole in your wall, the odor will go away. In our attic my husband nailed a board over the opening between the studs & that eliminated the problem.

Syd's 2 cents

Insulation had not crossed my mind but it does make sense. What else would it be if not that. I will look into replacing that. Thank you for your help

You could have something that died in the walls. Hopefully it will go away sooner than later.

Check any crawl spaces in and around your living room area something could of crawled in and died in there.