Macaroni Salad Tips

Category Cooking Tips
Macaroni Salad
A delicious cold dish for all times of year that can be made ahead of your meal. This guide contains macaroni salad tips.

I often make double what I need for a meal to intentionally have leftovers for a second dish. In this case, I made a simple macaroni and cheese. Use your favorite recipe or use the package mixes that almost everyone keeps in the pantry.

Refrigerate the leftovers and the next day, make your bonus dish: macaroni salad. Add ingredients in amounts to taste. You can use the following ingredients: small cubes of additional cheese, chopped celery, diced onion, or sliced green onion, peas (canned or frozen), diced bell peppers (I add green, red, and yellow for color and flavor). You can experiment with other favorite veggies. Add Miracle Whip and just enough milk to make it moist and creamy. This will keep for several days in the fridge.

Total Time: about 30 minutes to make

Yield: depends on the amount of leftover macaroni and cheese

I need some help to see what I'm forgetting to add to my recipe for chicken salad and macaroni salad. I do the miracle whip, salt and pepper, some relish, sometimes a dab of mustard. (Of course eggs in the mac salad) They always taste like somethings missing. I've even used some lemon pepper and that still didn't do it. Can someone please assist me?

Try some of these: ranch or French dressing, chopped onion, green onions, garlic powder or salt, seasoned salt, onion salt, chopped celery or bell pepper, chip dip, sour cream, chives,chopped parsley

I make my macaroni salad with chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, radishes, carrots, mayo mixed with ranch dressing or mayo mixed with chip dip, seasoned with salt or onion salt, pepper, canned tuna(liquid and all), or chicken or cut up ham,

I usually put eggs only in my potato salad, but will try them in the mac salad.

Well IMHO opinion you shouldn't use miracle whip, but that is just me.

But I do know that my Mom always used roughly these ingredients for macaroni and potato (obviously tweaking diff. things for each) Mayo, some mustard, black olives, salt and pepper, garlic salt, some plain yogurt (always in the house and it lowers the fat and gives it a tang), chopped celery, chopped onion, chopped dill pickles and some vinegar.

I didn't see on your list vinegar, maybe that is what you are missing? Your ingredients all seem sort of sweet (depending on what kind of pickles you use, sweet are in the same category of miracle whip for me) maybe vinegar or even pickle juice from the jar (if it's dill/kosher) for some zing?

Hope that helps.

I always use Hellmans in all of my salads...just seems to give it a better, creamier taste. For chicken salad, I add, green onions, and ONLY dell dixi pickles..diced up, salt, pepper, and of course chicken...it can always depend on your chicken too...I use breast with skin and bones and add onion, celery, and some allspice to the water....hope this helps!!

I always add chopped green onion to my chicken salad, as others have mentioned. I add a little curry powder as well, just gives it a little extra spice. Start with about l/2 a teaspoon and add to your taste.

I some times use Zesty Italian Dressing to taste.This will pep it up.

Hello,

What you are missing is half salad dressing, half miracle whip, lawrys seasoning salt, finely chopped onion, carrots, celery and hard-boiled eggs. Give it a little mustard for color. This will be your base for potato or macaroni salad. For chicken salad, use miracle whip, pepper, garlic powder and celery. Amy

I add a little dried dill weed to just about any salad made with dressing. The suggestions already submitted are really good.

Try adding some very finely chopped green onions and the tops(chives) that might help it. Good luck

dont forget to put some sugar in your salads

i always use equal portions of sugar and vinegar than add miracle whip and mustard to taste for potatoe and macoroni salad

Try adding an onion.

I mix salad dressing & sourcream together, plus add plain yogurt if I have it. I find if any of the pasta salads (and or deviled eggs) I make just don't do it for me I add a glob of ranch dressing. I also always try to use 2 different kind of onions, a small amt of sweet onion and a few green onions.

What is misssing is sugar.

Instead of using mayonaise, use salad dressing.

There is a huge difference in taste, especially in salads.

Try making your next salad with salad dressing, regular or light, you'll taste the difference.

I too use Mayo, but the Fat Free kind. I then add Splenda to sweeten the Mayo. It's less calories than Salad Dressing. I use this for deviled eggs, potato salad, macaroni salad, egg salad.

Paprika : )

The taste of Miracle Whip type dressings has changed over the years til they are Much Closer to Mayo which we don't like .Vinegar has changed too . Perhaps it is the apples which have had most of the flavor bred out of them in favor of survival during shipping .

Also the addition of high fructose corn syrup the dressings & pickles have had an effect .

They just don't taste as good as they used to .

Anyhoo, we always add pimiento stuffed green salad olives to these salads .& sprinkle Paprika on top .

What is Missing is the Old Time Taste .

celery seed or dill???

I use mayo, mustard, celery (with a few of the baby leaf tops for color), bell pepper, onion (all chopped fine), hard-boiled eggs, sweet pickle relish, walnuts (chopped), green olives, salt, pepper, curry to taste. I use the same ingredients for tuna, pasta, potato, chicken salads. Leave it in refrigerator overnight so the flavors can mingle...Enjoy!

Try vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar - about 1 Tbsp. for every 2 heaping Tbsp of mayo. Start with less and add to flavor.

I see you are from Indiana--Marsh has a really good chicken salad with pieces of grape and apples I think for sweetness, also you need tiny pieces of celery for crunch. If you don't like onions, that's okay. I don't either, and with all the suggestions posted, you can experiment a lot. -kim

If you use too much mayonnaise in a macaroni salad how do you take out the overkill of the mayonnaise with out adding more macaroni?

Barbara from Sealy, TX

Whenever I make macaroni salad, within a couple of hours the oil separates from the mayonnaise and just looks oily. How can I keep that from happening and keep the creamy appearance?

By Susan

How do you neutralize the salt in macaroni salad?

By Sherry