Maintaining Garden Furniture

Category Furniture
Garden furniture can be a costly investment. Proper maintenance can help extend the life of your furniture. This is a page about maintaining garden furniture.

I decided to repaint my outdoor furniture this summer! They were a charcoal grey originally. I decided to go black, making matching new chair covers easier. Everything goes with black! So I went to Walmart. I used a 1/2" brush. In between the seat straps, I used a kid's paint brush. Those vary in size. It applied nicely. I used Walmart's ColorPlace exterior paint in satin black. This paint can be used on all kinds of surfaces. They mixed the satin color black in their paint dept.

The best part was the price! I paid only $6.44 + tax for a quart. I painted my table and six chairs. I still have more than half the quart left for touch up! The test will be to see this winter how it wears through our foggy winters.

Jennifer, CA

Walmart's ColorPlace Exterior Paint in satin black.

Before

After

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have done this with my plastic Adirondack chairs, and it works. Clean off dirt by hosing the furniture down or wash with soapy water and a rag.

Dry off your chair. Wipe mineral oil on it with saturated cloth or use your hands.

before and after on red chair

Our gardens and patios have truly become an outdoor extension of our indoor space. And just like furnishing our interior spaces, decorating our exterior spaces can be an expensive investment in furniture and accessories.

Wooden Garden Furniture

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Giving aluminum garden furniture a coat of liquid Turtle Wax rejuvenates the luster of the metal.

I have sanded down an old plastic garden table and have applied one coat of Bullseye123 and it looks really good. Could I just apply another thin coat and then varnish it with Polyvine varnish so that I could wipe it?

Answers

Two thin coats and then the top coat is a good idea.

Thanks for that , but my question was .... can I put polyvine varnish onto bullseye 123 ??

I wondered why this brand did not ring a bell for me. Are you in the UK? I would suggest calling/emailing Polyvine to verify. Here is their link:

www.polyvine.com/.../ask-a-question

I say this because there are many varnishes you CAN use over paint, but some don't react well and they get all bubbly and chippy (at least on wood) and then there are some on plastic that almost melt it.

I don't want to give you bad advice so the experts on their site should be able to help.

Anonymous

Thanks , yes I am in the UK . Also thanks for the link, Polyvine is great stuff !

Polyvine can be used over the paint if it is water based. I am in Australia and love Polyvine so much that I order it from England. I paint furniture and use it over all my painted furniture. Best wishes.

Home and Garden Home Improvement FurnitureOctober 22, 2012
🌻
😷
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Maintaining-Garden-Furniture.html