Making Chocolate Milk

Category Beverages
Chocolate Milk
It is easy and delicious to make your own flavored milk at home. This guide is about making chocolate milk.

My kids love it, and it costs less!

• 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • dash of salt

Directions:

Mix all ingredients in small pot. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Let cool. Store in glass jar in fridge.

Servings: depends how much you like to use!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes

Source: Simply Frugal

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Make chocolate milk from powdered milk and generic brand chocolate syrup. Then, when kids want hot chocolate, heat it up. It's so easy, and so inexpensive. Marshmallows are optional.

By Stephanie from Anchorage, AK

When making chocolate milk for a treat, put milk and syrup in a sipper cup, put the lid on, cover the hole with your finger and shake to mix it up. No spoon to wash.

By Linda

How can you make chocolate milk at home without the chocolate separating from the milk? Chocolate syrup always ends up at the bottom of the cup. My 2 year old can go thru 3 gallons of store bought chocolate milk in a week. And although I want him to have the milk, the cost of this is unbelievable. I have tried mixing the store bought chocolate milk equally with powdered milk and it has worked. Just wondering if someone else knew a cheaper way to fake him out!

Thanks,
Carole in NC

Answers

Just so you know, chocolate inhibits calcium absorption.

My childs doctor has said that chocolate milk is just

fine if it gets your child to drink milk. It just doesnt

always have to be chocolate. My solution to this has

been to switch to Ovaltine. It mixes well, stays mixed, and you only need about 2 TBSP for a large

glass of milk (my son is 9). Best of all, Ovaltine has

a lot of vitamins and minerals in it and not just sugar. It also tastes great hot, so I no longer buy those little packets of hot chocolate mix. I did not have very good results with Carnation Instant Breakfast. My son said it tasted "Oatmeally"

Hope this helps.

We pour about 1/3 white milk in a glass with 2/3 store bought chocolate milk. It really helps stretch it and my sons don't notice the difference.

I like Nesquick" powder in white milk

Try to wean off the chocolate milk if possible-it is not as nutritious because of the extra calories

Re: chocolate inhibits calcium absorption

This appears to be FALSE.

check out this link:

http://www.nati  nselingPage6.htm

While it's true that chocolate (and BTW some dark green leafy vegetables) contain compounds that may inhibit calcium absorption (when taken at the same time as calcium), chocolate milk doesn't have enough of this compound to really affect the amount of calcium absorbed.

If anyone has any links to show studies that prove otherwise, I'd love to read them.

Anyway, if you are concerned about how much chocolate milk you're giving your son, get a professional opinion and ask your son's doctor about it.

why let your child drink 3 gallons of milk in a week anyway?? you said he is 2 or even if he is 5 i think 3 gallons is very excessive. you need to check with you pediatrician.

My son just went in to see his pediatrician for his 2 year check-up, and she said that he should only be drinking about 16 oz. of milk a day. (The theory being that if children are filling up on a lot of milk, they may not be eating well and getting important nutrients from food). I agree that you might want to check with your own pediatrician.

Here is the recipe for Hershey's chocolate. Everyone deserves to enjoy chocolate milk (except me, I'm lactose intolerant!!)

Hershey's Chocolate Syrup

Notes:

This is a great way to save money, and still have that famous taste.

1/2 C. Cocoa (Hershey's obviously)

1 C. Sugar

1 C. water

1 tsp. Vanilla

Dash of salt

Preparation:

Combine cocoa, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Add water, and mix until smooth. Bring this mixture to a boil. Allow it to boil for one minute, be careful this does not over boil. Remove from heat, when this cools add the vanilla.

Tripleb: thanks for the chocolate syrup recipe. I made some with Splenda. It may need a little tweaking but it's a good start.

I've got some lactose-intolerant family; if you are missing chocolate milk, try lactose-free milk, soy milk (I like Silk) and rice milk... you may find one you like!

I made homemade cocoa mix with powdered milk, sugar and cocoa. I ran out of ovaltine for my three year old, so I mixed up my cocoa with cold water. He drank it right down with no complaints! Ovaltine is to expensive. Better to just do the natural way! Kind of funny, they put ARTIFICIAL COLORS in chocolate milk mix? That is like putting it in dog food! Oh, and I only mix in enough chocolate for flavor. That helps cut down. And when you want to wean him down, leave it as a treat for ONLY one meal (or snack) that way it is a true treat.

I noticed that few of these recipes actually contained milk! I need to make some homemade chocolate milk for a health project so could someone pleeze post a basic hersheys choco milk recipe

Thanks,

CheesyBread

This isn't really for chocolate milk, but something I do with my boys is to make colored milk. I just add a few drops of food coloring to make the milk more appealing. At first, I added a little bit of sugar or some flavored syrup (like at Starbucks) but now I just add the color and they really like it.

I also give them 2% or nonfat milk at most meals and sometimes with snacks but I make sure that they drink water, especially at bedtime. I rarely go through a gallon of milk in a month, even with cooking and cereal.

chocolate milk is NOT bad for you as long as you choose low-fat choices. It is especially crucial for athletes because it provides calcium, protein, and the extra kick of sugar for extra energy. It is very important that you get your daily needs with milk....chocolate milk counts too!!!

Does anyone have a recipe to make chocolate milk using Hershey's cocoa powder. I have two children who love chocolate milk and I was thinking maybe making milk this way would be less expensive.

Any ideas?
Melissa

Make chocolate syrup as follows. I keep mine in a jar in the fridge. Maybe you have an old squeeze container you can use. Should keep for 4 weeks in the fridge. (I'd skip the vanilla and the salt) Tastes great on ice cream or use to make chocolate milk!

1/2 cup Hershey's Cocoa Powder

1 cup Sugar

1 cup water

1 teaspoon Vanilla

dash of salt

Combine cocoa, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Add water, and mix until smooth. Bring this mixture to a boil. Allow it to boil for one minute, be carefull this does not over boil. Remove from heat, when this cools add the vanilla.

There should be directons on the can for

making hot chocolate. Us that only don't

heat of course.

This is using Nestle Quick, My husband really likes it and it is very frugal and easy to make. (try generic Quick)

1/2c nestle quick 1 1/2c non fat dry milk 3c water

mix in blender 30 sec. (I just mix with whisk) Refridgerate til cold.

I usually double this.

great recipe, beanygurl!

just what i was looking for!!

Is there a place to find a recipe for real chocolate not some prissy syrup stuff? Real chocolate like what they made a long time ago down in Brazil, or in Africa. The stuff that is supposed to release true destinys that they used in ceremonys.

Hi Adam West,

Here's a link with information about making chocolate from cacao beans:

http://www.fiel  late/making.html

Have fun,

Susan from ThriftyFun

The chocolate that you're refering to from South American traditions would be nothing remotely like american chocolate. It would be more akin to a thick coffee. Traditional chocolate wasnt sweet like today.

Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate soldier? It's chocolate milk, made with dry milk, cocoa, and very little sugar. It tastes a great deal like Yoohoo, with no fat, no added stuff! It is cheap to make and makes a gallon. You mix it up and keep it in the fridge a couple hours before you drink it. My children loved it. I would like to give the recipe to my grown daughter for her children to enjoy.

By Marty from Fredericktown, OH

Answer Was this helpful? 1